Ok how do I even begin to do this?

WIC so subsequently DH says we need to get him off the bottle at 14 months. He's almost 11 months right now he turns one the last day of July so we have about three months and he is very attached to his bottle especially when tired. He uses the cup and is fine with it unless he's tired then he just wants his bottle. He basically just uses it when he's tired.

If he only really has 4 bottles a day and for those he won't take the cup, how do I even begin to wean him from the bottle? Why do I have to give up our cuddle time(he only really slows down for the bottle) with him at 14 months? Is there some kind of research that I can see on this for why? I guess I just always figured we'd wean him closer to 18-24 months nothing past 2 but not still so much of a baby.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My DS is 4 and even though we weened him off the bottle during the day at age 2 1/2 ( well closer to age 3 really), he still take a bottle laying down. Its his security blanket. I feel some kids have pacifiers, some have a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. He has his baba. if its only at nigh so what. I have just recently started giving him a nubi sippy cup at night but it dosent seem to be working as well. he fights me. He wants his baba. Mind you that he has had the same baba for over 2 years. It has to be that one or else he wont drink it and will wake up screaming because he didnt have his comfort baba when he went to bed. IMO i think there is nothing wrong with letting you child tell you when they are ready not society.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• oh and when we weened him of the baba during the day, it was his choice..we totally skipped the sippy cup phase..he saw the way mommy and daddy drank and he was excited to be like us...if he wouldnt have shown that initiative we would have let him drink his baba during the day until he was ready.
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 1:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You can still have cuddle time by reading him a book or telling him a story. Cuddle time doesn't need to involve a bottle. Both of my kids went to sippy cups by about 13 months.... but I didn't have to give up our night time routine.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• He does not hold still without the bottle being involved. He's a VERY active baby he won't stop even when tired.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my boys were on a bottle way past two but before three... ... keep em just for night time and find a sippy he enjoys that will substitute a bottle
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 2:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Just so the bottle doesn;t start affecting his teeth.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my daughter was passed 14months when she gave up the bottle. i waited until after the dentist and he told me it was fine. so she was already on a sippy during the day and the dentist told me just water in the bottle at night time is fine. my favorite sippies for her are the ones with the softer tips. some toddlers are easier then others to wean. do what you want not what everyone says what to do. do what is best for your child. he will eventually wean. i had a harder time getting my own parents to stop giving her the bottle then the baby wanting the bottle. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We weaned our first at 18 months, and our second at 11 months.... with our first it was harder on him.... he still wanted it, and would cry. He cried for about 2-3 days when we wouldn't give it to him at night or at nap, but after that he was fine.... The cry time would decrease each time before he fell asleep.... but my second just didn't even seem to care.... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 12:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I have no idea, I breastfeed and practice child-led weaning.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011