Do your kids have a bedtime?

my son babysits for these 2 kids 6 and 3 and he says that she doesn't make them go to bed so he has such a hard time getting them to sleep. I have always had a bedtime for my kids since they were babies it seems but just curious because i hear alot that parents will let the kids stay up so they can sleep in.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter is only 4 up she has always had a bedtime and always will while she is a child, weekends a bit later and a bit more give, but during the week its a set bedtime, I think its important for them to get the right amt of sleep.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids are down at 9pm every night! If they aren't ready for bed, they can lay there until they are. I don't believe in the kids running the household or the parents wanting their kids to sleep on their schedule. Children NEED sleep!! I had a friend who kept her3 yr old out ALL night with her and they would go to bed at like 8am and wake up at noon but children need 8 to 14 hours a day depending on their age and activity level! I am NOT a perfect parent but I believe in schedules so your children give you less problems later because they know what to expect.
    Also if my kids go down at 9 and wake up at 7 and I didn't go to bed until 5, then I am running on 2 hours of sleep and it's my fault, I don't adjust them to when I want to sleep. ... But hey, that's just me
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 6:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My kids have a bedtime , and always have . My son (10months) goes to bed at 7 and My daughter (7 yrs) Goes at 7:30 or 8:00 (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 6:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My children have bedtimes, even my teenagers have bedtimes, even during summer. Children need sleep and it is our responsibility as parents to help them understand this.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes she has a bedtime. it has changed as she has gotten older and its been pretty consistent for awhile now. i babysat for people that the two older boys would have bedtimes and the 3rd the youngest when he was young like 1or 2 would not. i guess everyone is different. and i am pretty flexiable but usually she is the one that lets me know when its time for bed and she is not a big fighter about it. i think its easier on the child also consider they will be horrible to put to bed because they are so over tired. i do not remember myself ever having a bedtime but i am sure i did when i was younger.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• 830 during school. 1000 during summer. He is 8. We tried to go to 9 before but he couldn't make it to bed on time so back to 830.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 6:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Its kinda funny how it drives my son nuts. because now he tells me i understand why you always have made me go to bed at a set time when i was little. He does these overnights sometimes and comes home sooo tired. Says the kids were up until 2 am and says she doesn't make them go to bed at a certain time because i guess he asked her about it.
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 6:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My children have always had a set bedtime since they were 18 months old. I believe it's better to start them at a young age; rather then struggle with one when they start school. I am however more lenient during the summer and on the weekends. My eldest is in bed by 8:30-9pm during the week and 9-10:00 on the weekends. Summer hours are usually 10-10:30pm. My middle child is up till 8-8:30pm on the weekdays and weekends. My baby lets me know when she is sleepy which is usually around 7:30-8pm
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 6:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• 8p.m. on school nights.....10p.m. on others
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 7:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We have bedtimes for our lot but we let the older ones go to bed whenever they want sometimes. It's what works best for the family. Some trust their kids to know what their needs are in everyday life too ('radical unschoolers'). Families vary wildly. So long as kids are happy healthy and safe, each to their own. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 9:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2011