Would you buy a rolling backpack?

for your son if he has to walk to school? This is the first year my son has had to walk to school and I am not looking forward to it--I have a toddler that I either have to drive or will be picked up also--so my oldest may be walking some days by himself; he has been asking for a rolling backpack do you think it is worth it or not?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in

• No, because very few schools allow them. Kids will use that nice luggage type handle to hold on to them and swing them around, they don't maneuver well in crowded hallways and they really slow the kids down. I have yet to see a kid who had a rolling backpack actually pick it up and carry it - even empty - instead of trying to roll the stupid thing down stairs, uneven sidewalks, etc. I don't know where you live, but you may be able to go on your school's website and find a supplies list or the superintends office is usually open year round, you can call them and ask if the rolling backpacks are allowed.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Kids in our district aren't allowed to have them, or should I say it is in the handbook that they aren't supposed to. Of course some parents totally ignore the rules and do it anyway.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Our kids aren't allowed to have them at all at school, it's in the rules because other kids can trip over them. Most kids won't put the backpack on their back at all once they get used to pulling it along behind them, so they got banned. My kids and I walk a mile and a half to school, they do it with their backpacks on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's the same rules here but I got lucky and found a backpack that's both! You can roll it or slip the handle down and it has straps so he can wear it on his back. Nike makes them and it's great!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't (and haven't) gotten them for my boys. They have walked to and from school, and once in a while take their bikes. I think the extra weight of the rolling mechanisms would be an impediment to wearing the pack, I'm certain that the mechanisms would be broken in short order (boys are hard on stuff!), and the packs are more expensive. If they're over-loading their packs that it makes walking with them too difficult, then it's time for me to talk to them about what's necessary to carry or to speak with their teachers about the work load they are sending home every night!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Find out if they are even allowed in your school before you look at purchasing one.
    Most schools have banned them because they are dangerous in crowded hallways.

Just teach him how to wear his backpack properly, find one that has the waist strap for stability and keep the straps good and tight so it isn't riding down on his rump or legs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't care if it is "cool" or not I just want to know if others buy them for their child if they are walking to school
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 7:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• that's what I thought also slw123 I told him that it wasn't going to hurt him to carry it he doesn't put it on his back most of the time anyhow
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 7:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• that is what we planned on doing but the school office isn't available till mid August I was just asking what others thought of them and it looks pretty much like everyone frowns on them. My son had one picked out and it is a regular backpack
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011