What type of Lunch Box/Backpack?

are you buying this year?  I have a 9 year old and a 4 year old and my husband seems to think the 4 year old doesn't need one yet and the 9 year old won't give me any ideas as to what he likes

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in

• Every child needs a back pack. When I taught preschool we used those backpacks every day. Does your 4 year old go for a full day? If not, they probably won't need a lunch box. If your older child is creatitve, give him a plain fabric lunch box and a small pack of sharpies (or a silver sharpie on a dark lunch box) and let him make it his own. The plain-jane lunchboxes can get easily confused it they are in a line outside the classroom door (this is how we put ours away after lunch, then after recess the kids put them in their cubbies).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Both my boys have fully functioning backpacks and lunchboxes from last year, so we will continue to use those. They've got packs from the Gap (just standard, no characters or anything) and insulated bags for lunch boxes. When they are replaced, they'll be replaced with something similar. I prefer to stay away from characters so that they last longer.

I think getting a pack for a 4 year old is a great idea - even if they aren't in school yet, having them pack a few toys for outings in "their" pack makes trips a little easier.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I bought my son a Jansport backpack for Kinder and now, he is going into the second grade and he is still using it. It was dark blue and black patterned with black straps and a net pocket for a water bottle. Jansports have a lifetime guarantee so if it rips, we'll just get another. I would stay away from characters since they outgrow those really quick and they are usually cheaply made anyway. A full size backpack might be too big for your 4 year old but he definitely needs something, even just to carry papers back and forth plus all the cool projects he will make for you :o)
    urbpro

Answer by urbpro at 8:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• we were going to use the same ones from last year but the zippers broke and I can't fix them
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• not sure yet waiting for the school to get back to us if it is all day every day or what
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011