Has anyone done online school through the HS for thier teen?

I am considering this and just wanted to know some imput about it.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 7:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If your teen is NOT self motivated, this is not a good idea.

My daughter took one of her english courses last summer online and it taking her geometry and biology on line this summer. But she is self motivated and plans on graduating a year early.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The other thing, is he can't self learn - if he is an audio learner - he won't do well with online courses at it is mainly reading. He can ask the teacher for help, but HE has to be the one that does that at it has to be online or via phone as the teachers are not usually local.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I agree with twins+2...self motivation is key. My daughter did ECOT (Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow) which is an Ohio only online school. At first she was very unsure of how to handle things, but by the end of the quarter she was meeting friends for online chats and was better at contacting her teachers. It has been a good option for us, because she's realized she is capable of more than she thought, and she will be able to do more college classes than her brick and mortar school allowed, but it was a very rough transition. Every online school is different, just like regular schools, but you have to give your child the facts and let him or her decide if they are willing to put in the extra effort that will be needed. On the up side, most are free, provide a computer and equipment for use, and the teachers I've talked to have been really terrific.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2011