Why won't Walmart (at the jewelry counter) touch my watch to change the battery?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm half asleep right now lol. I went in to get a battery for my watch, but I couldn't get the back off of it, so they said they couldn't help me and just moved on. Is it a liability thing or what? I thought they could remove the back and change the battery? My mom has them do it for her watches all the time, so I'm not sure why mine is different.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Shopping

• If they don't sell it, they won't touch it.

A jeweler usually doesn't charge anything beyond the battery price to change the watch battery.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• They will only do it for watches they sell. I would rather go to a regular jeweler anyways because they have the correct tools which make sure the seal is sealed correctly. It is a liability thing for walmart because people were complaining that they ruined their watches when the seal leaked.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Certain watches take a special tool to put the back on. Walmart doesn't want to be liable for your watch. I believe their policy is if they didn't sell it they don't touch it on watches.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• lol i dont have a clue!!! ! and i dont think your dumb i donno eaither soo ill bup this for you id like to know myself!
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yours probably requires a different tool and would need a jeweler to take care of it. Our jeweler will replace them at no extra charge. I think it's best to find a mom & pop kind of store instead of a big chain, they are less likely to charge you for their time.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well I know my mom's watches didn't come from Walmart. One is an antique that was her mother's or grandmother's, so it's pretty old. I don't think she's ever bought one from there. Will a jeweler charge more for it?
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 7:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I had to laugh at the one's an antique. I guarantee they don't change the battery in that one as it doesn't have a battery. Also if it is one the first watches to have batteries, From the late 70's, the only place you might be able to find a battery for is from a jeweler, and at that they would have to special order it. So I agree with everyone else. Wal Mart won't touch anything that they don't sell.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well, considering it was a wedding gift from my great-grandmother to my grandmother when she got married in the early 60s, it's fast approaching being an antique if it isn't already. And yes, it does use a battery, but it sure as hell didn't come from Walmart. Battery operated watches were introduced in the 1950s, fyi. My grandma still remembers when they first came out (plus at one point in high school I got stuck with a topic for an essay about the history of time pieces, yay topics from a hat drawing lol). She was a teenager, I think, or almost a teenager when they came out, and my grandpa was an adult already.

So excuse my lack of a better term to describe something that's nearly 50 years old so early in the morning. Different things become antiques at different ages, so I wasn't exactly sure when a watch became an antique :)
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• But now we're getting totally off topic because it isn't my mother's watch I'm trying to get a battery for, it's mine, which is nothing special, except for that fact that it might not have come from Walmart (I'm not even sure what brand it is, so I'm not totally certain that it didn't come from there).
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I bought a Kenneth Cole watch at Macy's and they told me that if anything happened to it, they couldn't fix it. Maybe it the type of watch you have.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011