Bad mom?

We missed fireworks yesterday...Yesterday I was not well organized and very tired because of the trip to Disneyland the day before yesterday. So we went to the beach, but were hungry and tired in the evening (found parking only a mile away from the beach, forgot warm clothes for the evening), by the time we came home it was 8:30 o'clock in the evening. We asked our six years old daughter whether she cared about going to fireworks (at 9) and she said no, since we saw one at Disneyland. So we had late dinner at home and watched fireworks on TV. My daughter started crying that she missed the 4th of fireworks, because it looked so beautiful. I comforted her and she went to sleep, but I feel so bad, because I feel I took away something important from my daughter, just because we were so tired... sigh...

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You're not a bad mom for that. Maybe there are some tonight? Or maybe you can find some and do your own fireworks?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think thats quite alright! You went to Disneyland! I have yet to do that and asked my whole childhood. I bet she was just tired too and had a meltdown.. no worries momma I bet your awesome!
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• There is always next year!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Kids have to learn, they do not always get what they want. Not a bad mom, just a tired mom.

Answer by louise2 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Like MommaB30, I think she was just tired and having a meltdown. She'll most likely forget all about it later.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 8:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I wanna go to disneyland! I have "guilty mom" moments all the time. Youre still a cool momma! Your daughter should be lucky that she sent to disney land
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 8:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yah, she realy has nothing to complain about, alot of kids never get to go to disney. Dont worry about it.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We don't have to alter reality for our kids, just acknowledge their feelings & their right to them. You describe an understandable situation. You consulted your daughter for her opinion, and later she wished she HAD gone after all. This is normal; nothing wrong here. Also nothing tragic here. Just life, and feelings. As I see it, there are no "shoulds" to be applied--as if having gone to Disneyland means she "shouldn't" have felt sadness or regret at the loss (the lost opportunity) later on. I don't see it as ungrateful, just honest feelings! Nor is her sadness & disappointment an indictment of YOUR decisions (as if you "should" have made sure to check out the fireworks no matter what.)
    Children just need our presence & acknowledgment. When we see them & convey that their feelings make sense given their point of view, we give them a great gift of validation. Sad feelings don't need "fixing," just a witness & permission to be.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• In ten years or even this fall when she goes back to school, she'll remember going to Disneyland, she will not remember that she saw or didn't see the local fireworks this year. It happens. We all make decisions that we regret. If you'd gone, everyone would have been grumpy. As moms, we do the best we can.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 8:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• LOL we did our 4th on the 2nd ( DH got thur-mon off he is military) but he ad to be up at 4 AM tues. so on Mondy we did the zoo and dinner instead... no fireworks,. it happens mom
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011