How do I handle a work friend that is leaning toward more than friendship?

Everyone at work says that she is really interested in me on a romantic level. She is in a bad relationship, I am happily married. As a friend I am trying to help her with her problems in her relationship, but I am scared that I am leading her on. Not really sure how to handle the situation. The fact that this is a woman is not the problem, it is that I want to make it clear that I am not interested in a relationship without losing the friendship. Possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• Make sure you make a lot of references to your husband and your happiness in your marriage. If she ever says or does something obvious make it clear that you are committed to your relationship. You'll probably have to stop giving advice at that point. Otherwise, I would just treat her like you would any other friend.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 3:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• careful, nature has a way of sending signals. Your question tells me you got the signal but missed the message - Married men shouldn't counsel other Women without your wife in the equation! Bad ju-ju! If she's missing, add her immediately!
    You can simply say you're both here for her (you and your wife) and don't want her to mistake your kindness for anything else. This should re-establish your marital status - Also, avoid touching (hugs of compassion).
    KatKallingMom

Answer by KatKallingMom at 5:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• KatKallingMom-kinda didn't understand your response and I am wondering if you misunderstood the question. I am the wife, my husband knows Mindy, but has only met her once or twice in passing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Just leave it alone...Keep it friends I just finished an office romance and it led to me leaving my job... It was a hard thing on everyone when it went bad.
    Anonymous

• Just tell her that someone told you she is into you. You can even make it seem like you are joking. But then check out her response. Read the vibes. You'll be able to tell....
    Anonymous