Is it just me, someone please shed some light here!!

So I thought I was doing what was best for our DD. I started making her baby food at home rather than buying it. I get to daycare this morning and I find out I can't bring in anything that's not sealed, in case there are food allergies of other kids. They tell me other children may get into the food. UM HELLO.....keep the shit up where they can't get it just like you do everything else you don't want them to get into!! While I do realize they need to keep this food refrigerated, they keep all bottles in the same fridge with a "childproof" lock on it, and I have yet to have an issue with another child getting into them! Another issue I had a while back....she is mostly BF, I say this b/c I don't pump enough so she gets one 6oz bottle of formula per day, sometimes she eats it and sometimes she doesn't. So to save money and risk of having to waste it I ask why they can't mix it themselves, they say they are not allowed to open the bottles. Since DD has started on baby food, we've been mixing her food with breast milk or formula. At daycare they tell me not to worry about it, they will mix it. Um, I thought you couldn't open the bottles? So you can or cannot open the damn bottles???!!!!!! Jesus, then to top it off I started balling (more to that story, kind of a crappy weekend) and said I hate that daycare! DH looks at me and says, " b/c you can't bring your own food in" Ok, you're walking home today!!
So I'm ready to go off on someone today, I'm bitchy and should just go home!
Is there anyone who works at a daycare, or who has that can explain any of that to me please?

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 8:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Licensing rules in Michigan:
    If formula, milk or food is provided by the parents, then the center shall comply with R 400.5205
    and the following additional provisions:
    (a) Formula or milk shall be furnished daily to the center in clean, sanitary, ready-to-feed bottles.
    (b) Formula, milk, and food shall be covered and labeled as to the contents, date, date of opening,
    when applicable, and the name of the child for whom its use is intended.
    (c) Formula, milk and perishable foods shall be refrigerated until used.
    (d) At the end of the day, any formula or milk in an unopened ready-to-feed bottle, or perishable
    food, shall be returned to the parent or discarded.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would ask for a copy of their written policy so you can either A: adhere to their regulations, B: choose a new daycare center, or C: dispute what you've been told to someone higher up (director, state inspectors, etc). It has been a while, but my daughter was in a licensed facility, and we were encouraged to bring in our own items if we wished, formula had to be brought already prepared (I used a Rubbermaid bottle with a lid), and the teachers were wonderful. Sounds like you might have a teacher that is making up her own rules.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Just like in medical practices, they are covering their asses so to not get sued.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• ask them to show you the regulation in writing.

what state are you in? Is this a center or home based program? Are they licensed/regulated by the state?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That's really dumb. There are so many regulations these days that make no sense. Can you find a new daycare?
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 9:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Here is what I found:
    When food is brought from home, the following shall apply:
    1. The food container shall be sealed and clearly dated and labeled in a way
    that identifies the owner;
    2. The center shall have extra food or shall have provisions to obtain food to
    serve to children so they can have an appropriate snack or meal if they forget
    to bring food from home, bring an inadequate meal or snack, or bring
    perishable food; and
    3. Unused portions of opened food shall be discarded by the end of the day or
    returned to the parent.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Be a pain in their butt. There's not a good reason for their inconsistency.

I'd be finding another center.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well I wished I lived in Michigan then, b/c it doesn't even address my issue.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My dilemma is it does not seem like a consistent policy, they will not mix the formula, but they will open a bottle to mix the formula for the food
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I found the reg here in virginia, and it isn't specific enough. but I do understand where you, keisha and the daycare is coming from as far as lawsuits are concerned. We are on a military installation where the daycare is located, so the regs are at an even higher standard, so yes this is a CDC. Thank you ladies. I guess I'm just more heartbroken that I can't give her home made food than anything.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011