Can anyone give me suggestions on weaning my soon to be 3 yr old from nursing?

My son will be 3 on July 18th ive tried the selfe wean method "the dont offer dont refuse" and that went on for a yr and nothings changed. hes dependant on it for sleep and to be honest with you ive let him because when hes cranky it knocks him out.He nurses 3 times a day once in the morning when he first wakes up, for a nap and b4 bed he still sleeps with me.hes very demanding and cries and screams "i want boobah if i dont let him and he lifts up my shirt.please any suggestions or to share your story of your weaning sucess will be helpful.thanks in advance

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 9:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• When he asks, give him a different time.' Mommy can I nurse? Yes, but I am doing something right now. Here is a cup of milk/juice/water if you would like to drink this until I can.' That is what worked for me. My son nursed past 3 too. He was nursing less like your son and I had just had his sister. I realized that it was way more for comfort than anything else for him so I found other ways to comfort him.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• First I want to say I have no experience at all.... I am just offering a general weaning approach we used for bottles. It may or may not owrk in the situation:

Mark a day on the calendar that the milk is going to go away. It will run out on that day. Then daily X off the days and count down to it. During this time talk about alternatives. (What do you think we could do instead at bed time? What do you think would be a good idea for the mornings when you can't have Boobah any more?) Get his input make him part of the solution. The trick is you have to stick to this one. If you get to D-day and then give in and give it back he will see your bluff making any other tactic you try later much harder.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My boys nursed until 15 mo and 18 mo but what I did was cut them down a minute a week each time we nursed. So say they nursed for 10 minutes, the next week I'd do 9. It was a gradual process but it worked. I also tried to offer other options for the mid-day nursing like a sippy or a snack, cuddle time, book reading, whatever. Then I tackled the morning one and finally the night time one. Having a goal in mind like the PP said really does help.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I really like VintageMom's advice... at this point it is probably just a comfort thing, and I would try something else... maybe a cup of warmed milk so he still has a little bit of similarity, and that may just go ahead and knock him out..... GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I remember when I was going through the same thing. Well it's simple and hard at the same time but the answer is to just completely stop! I know it doesn't sound easy but nursing does become a habit, but not a bad one just hard to quit. It's the same with bottles... It's time to throw it away and not even mention it at all.
    Please update me about it I hope I helped

about it... Just like getting rid of bottles... It's time to throw it away and replace it with something he enjoys don't mention nursing at all just try to distract him into doing something else
    Amony92

Answer by Amony92 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• MY now almost 5 yo completely self-weaned just a couple weeks past his third birthday.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• UPDATE it will be a week tomm hes stopped nursing someonementioned me to say my "boobas" have booboo on them and they hurt when they feel better he can.hes been really good with that he just at first would lift my shirt and say "all better?" and ide say not yet" and he would just lay with them and first time he past out asleep while just holding it.i was shocked it worked .no crying no fussing.so i know it was really just for comfort and habit.i also used your suggestions vitagemom along with it offering other options and more occupying his time .thanks for all your suggestions
    ALLSPORTMOM

Comment by ALLSPORTMOM (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2011