Boy names for girls?

What's your opinion on giving a baby girl a boy name? My sister in law and I were talking about it yesterday while we were waiting for the fireworks to start. Do any of your dds have boy names? Would you name them something like Logan or Dylan?

We decided that some names are cute for little girls after you change the spelling and some names just don't go well on girls. What do you think?

littlemomma1108

Asked by littlemomma1108 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Baby Names

• My sister's name is Dale. All her life she has complained about it being a boy's name. But thinking about it........hell, she complains about everything anyway.........
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Love it! I think Michael is a cool name for a girl - look at how the name Jordan took off for girls! My niece is naming her son Jupiter Orion, to which at first my eyebrows raised up almost to the back of my head. But it's growing on me - so, my final answer is do whatever you want to do, change it up a bit and go for it!
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• No, but my sons name is Carson .. which i assumed was an all-boy name ( even if you break it apart it is Car and Son = boy ) ... anyways you wouldnt believe how many times I have had someone tell me that it is a girls name ! Even our pedi. kept marking him as a girl when he was younger because he said he only knew girls who was named Carson ....

I do know of a girl named darian ( she is like 17) and she says she loves her name and that everyone thinks its cool.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My DD's name is Quinn Cameron. BOTH gender neutral names. In retrospect I wish I had spelled her middle name Kameryn to give it a feminine touch but honestly it never occurred to me this was a predominant boy's name until MUCH later.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I like your dd's name But_Mommie. I actually know a Quin and a Cameron (spelled Cameryn) and they are siblings!
    littlemomma1108

Comment by littlemomma1108 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I personally dont like it. We saw a little girl playing softball her name was Austin. My dh, me and other moms said "They must have been expecting a boy".

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't mind, my niece is named Taylor and back when she was born in 1991, it was mostly a boys name and now it is unisex. There are lots of names like that, I grew up with a Davis (she went by Davey) but she liked being different. I think there are many cute normally male names, that could suit a female also.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I despise boy names on girls. I know that isn't popular, so let the down votes commence LOL.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I haven't done it but do like some of these names. I've heard of Dean, Michael and Peta. I think they are great on girls.
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 10:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I like the boy name on girls, thing. Maybe it's the tomboy inside of me speaking, but there's something about it that is unique and liberating! And the name Austin, I love that! On the other hand, I knew a girl named Justinia. That's a little far. There are some names that are just too masculine (ie, Dave, Bob, George, John, Dick... those are no goes in my book)
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2011