Are there any of you out there who can claim hereditary witchcraft in your family ???

...I was just wondering... My grandma was a cunning woman, very canny. She grew many herbs, foraged wild plants and read the tea leaves. She would bless your coming and going by throwing herbs and flowers in front or behind you. My great aunt, her older sister was a psychic, laid-on-hands, read the crystals and was a midwife.

My whole immediate family is Wiccan, even my grown son who says that a male witch is A WITCH, not a wizard and certainly not a warlock, the word that in the Burning Times meant betrayer ! If you saw the movie " Practical Magic "---we are sort of like that : wacky, happy and very alternative !

Hmmm... Are there any from hereditary witch families on Cafemom ???

IndigoRose

Asked by IndigoRose at 9:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Me as well and I'll post anon because its not something I talk about. My grandfathers mother was known to be a "black witch." My grandmother was suppose to put garlic at the doorway when she was coming over. Many things were blamed on her because she was such a bitch basically. It does run in the line of the women. My cousin and I both have vivid dreams that come true. I can do much more than that but the family doesn't talk about it and I don't "practice" anything. Things just kind of happen and I accept it. I love it but some people don't understand it. I can't deny what I can do and over time people just seemed to observe it and don't question it. I never understood the whole wiccan thing and I don't know what to even call this. I just have "gifts" and I too believe it came from a higher power. I am not specifically "religious" though. I hate that word. I'm spiritual and connected I suppose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• None that I know of, sadly. I am a practicing Wiccan though, and have some psychic ability. Unfortunately I have no way of finding out - all of my blood relatives are pretty much gone and there aren't many records - it seems most of my ancestors were Christians. Ah well, I'm proud to be a Wiccan, regardless!
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We have family records dating back to the early 1800's but nothing is written or spoken of about anything like that. Would be cool tho.

I can tell you the women in my family have a strong(and 99% of the time correct)intuition about stuff. However, Im the only one to recognize it for what it is and do anything about it. The other women(mom, her mom, and my sisters)blow it off and dont even realize they have something special.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes and No. My immediate family is JW, far far far from Pagan or actively practicing Witches. BUT, there is a heredity of "gifts" which has been passed down. My Mother and her sister (my aunt) have both stated (although my mother generally denies) an ability to see and hear spirits - which I have as well. I also get premonitions and preminatory dreams, which is a gift that has seemed to have been passed down through my Grandfather's side of the family. My grandfather's side of the family are all Irish Catholic, and quite proud of their Scots-Irish bloodline. While, being Catholic, they will all deny the title Witch, it greatly applies! Besides their "gifts" they use "natural" or "herbal" medicines, practice chants and "musical prayers" and continue to have a strong belief in things such as the Fay, Banshees and other prominently ignored creatures.

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• So while I have no admitted heredity, I definitely have one in my family.

It's also worth noting that I definitely have a spiritual heredity. Without a doubt I was "born a witch!" I know that statement upsets people as they start to think of fictional stories and shows like Charmed, where they are born with powers and such. But instead I'm referring to more of a "spiritual memory." Even as I was raised to be a strict Christian, and never exposed to any teachings about a Goddess or other Pagan teachings besides being told they were simply fiction, I knew something gravely different. I was just a small child when I openly denied the teachings of my family and embraced the belief in many Gods & Goddesses and started my walk on a Pagan Path...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Eh, none of them would ever claim it, but if you look at what they do/did, then most of my family members have been at least kitchen Witches. There was only one man on my mom's side who actually claimed to be a Witch a few generations back, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Ya having strong Christian backgrounds where you are taught those kinds of things are bad or whatnot will stop anyone from saying "yes I have a gift".

Thats how my family works anyway.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Just boring old sheep herders in my family history-but I loved reading about yours- maybe you could write a book- I love family history books and I love reading and hearing about family heritage-
    Oh, you could also be on Discovery- far more interesting than the Duggars or Toddlers and Tiaras!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• As far as I know, I am the only one but there are several women who have "abilities". They just  know things. I have that little talent myself. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My mother is a practicing Christian Kitchen Witch, she has been reading cards, growing herbs, etc since I can
    remember, but nothing was ever said or taught about Witches' in the family...
    I have just recently learned that the "weather" ability that I have is hereditary, that my uncle can or did have something
    similar. What is funny is that no one has kept records, most likely out of fear of the community of the time.
    2 of my sisters call themselves Wiccans and believe you have to be wicca to be a witch... (yes I know, not true)
    I am an Solitary Electric Wiccan Witch with some odd gifts...LOL... (pertaining to weather mostly and also get strong
    feelings that something is going to happen/change or that someone will be coming over)
    And to bring the topic up within the family is taboo... so I just keep learning and studying...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011