When is the longest time you've heard of someone applying for a job and being called back for an interview?

My husband applied for a higher position in his company about 4 months ago. The job is considered an executive position and will triple his salary. He is not completely qualified for the job but I told him it won't hurt to apply. And the way he isn't qualified is that the job asks for a bachelor degree in that field and he only has a associate degree. He did 2 years of general course college before then though. So he did go to college for 4 years, he just only earned an associates degree in the field. He gained a lot of experience in that field during school and at the internship. He also won many awards already in that field.

A few weeks after applying, his boss approached him and told him what a great worker he is and how he should be trying to move up, not get stuck like most of his coworkers. DH told him about how he applied for the job. Boss said that's great because they really need people in that field and since DH has a perfect attendance record at work, he should get it. He also said he would put in a good word for him too.

Then a month later, DH checks status of application and it says "not qualified candidates, see other position." I figured it meant he didn't get it, so we said oh well. Then he gets a email from his work saying they decided not to offer the position, but they did have another position they wanted him to apply for. He clicked on the link to the other position and it was the exact same position as before. So, he re applied. My guess then was they re-posted it hoping they got more qualified candidates. Now it's been another 2 months and each time he checks the status, it says "pending." Really, should we even expect a call by now?

BTW, he works for an airline. Currently he does baggage handling but the position he applied for is video services. He would be making training videos and company status videos for stockholders. His degree is in tv production. He's won a few film challenges and did the nominee graphics for the local Emmy's. He also made a music video for a coworker, an inspiring rapper.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• I waited a month
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I got a call back for an interview over a year after I applied at a cafe. I turned down the interview- I figure if it takes that long to call someone back it can't be a very organized place to work...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sometimes it can take months, depending on what's going on in the industry. I waited about 3 months for an interview at a financial institution. Turns out management was taking certifications at the time and there was a lot of displacement and confusion going on with management. I would say to just hang in there. If he knows WHO to speak with about the position, I'd recommend that he take the liberty to discuss his interest prior to hearing back from the application.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My husband was called a month later for an interview with his current job.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It depends on how they look at the people applying. It might be a long process and that's the reasons for the wait.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Since the status is "pending" it means they haven't made a decision yet so I'd keep waiting.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Some employers take forever and kudos to your DH for making forward strides and congrats on his accomplishments with the videos.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2011