Who wouldnt work to make sure there bills were paid? Even if it was our anniversery.

Okay, wives i am about to divorce my husband over the crap that has been going on latley... okay to start my husband is a realtor, which he just started a year ago so hes not really making much money at all and you its not guarenteed so i never can count on anything... well i work full time and pay all the bills pretty much. I do all our banking exc. Well this week we were going to be 50 bucks short of bills coming out today. My mom owns a convientent store which i used to work at for 8 years, she asked if i wanted to work some hours over the 4th of july weekend. So i did i worked 4 hours on saturday, and then i worked the 4th of july for time and a half for 8 hours. Which the 4th of july is our anniversery, i had the day off from my real job, and we had both our kids (my new 6 month old, and my 6 year old step daughter.) He went off on me about working this day. Yet he is doing nothing to help our situation, and on sunday before the 4th he spent all day with his cousin golfing (spent 40 of the 50 dollars i made one day of the working). But then complains that im not there to spend the day with them on the 4th. Not that he was going to spend it with just me anyways, he had plans to do like 3 diffrent activiities with his family....which i dont really enjoy hanging out with them anyways if any of you have seen any of my past MIL posts =)... Was i wrong for working the hours to make sure our bills our taken care of? Or should i have just said screw it and went further into debt and taken all the over drafts fees for everything that comes out this week???

stepmom2B29

Asked by stepmom2B29 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I will never understand why people think they do not need to work on their anniversaries or birthdays. My BIL always takes those days off and he is some serious financial trouble. You did the right thing. He should not have spent the money you had ear marked for a bill on golf. He needs to get his priorities straight.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You did the right thing here. You are coming to come up short on bills so you picked up a couple shifts. I would have done the exact same thing. I'm sure it wasnt fun for you to have to miss out on the 4th with your kids either.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yeh, thats what i told him, like i really WANTED to miss my daughters FIRST 4th OF JULY!!! Yet if i dont pay my bills on time, its going to be worst off for her later on!! We get into this money fight day in and day out!!!! And of course ALL I CARE ABOUT IS MONEY to him, but really money is what makes this world go around, i dont only care about money but i do know you need it to survive and to take care of your family, if i had his same attitude we'd be NO WHERE~
    stepmom2B29

Comment by stepmom2B29 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sweetie you are already planning your divorce the day after your anniversary how sad. You do need to spend time together, but who had the kids if you were working and he was golfing???

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• i would have worked and explained to him that these are our bills and they have to be paid..no excuses..i understand we all fall behind from time to time but i dont understand y he wouldnt want to take care of the responsiblities of bills and if the chance came up to make some extra money to pay the bills to take it?? idk no you were in the right in my eyes ..he was jst being a jerk
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't think this is worth divorcing over, but your husband needs to grow up!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:02 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• If you're in trouble financially, I see no problem working on a holiday, anniversary, whatever. You've got your head in the right place. I can sympathize with you. My DH is the breadwinner for now. I just graduated from college and am looking for work. He had a chance to work over the weekend. He turned it down. Granted the hours were crap - it would have been going in at night and working till the job was done the next day. I agree it did not sound like an amazing time but we are in a bad situation. So I have a hard time understanding when the guy wants to screw off instead of doing what is best for the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well the divorce thing is from the crap thats just been going on like this forever, this just feels like the last straw for me!!!! Im tired of him making me feel like crap for doing things i feel i really need to do!
    stepmom2B29

Comment by stepmom2B29 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sipn mom- we did not have the step daughter that day.... and i took my baby to work with me!
    stepmom2B29

Comment by stepmom2B29 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think you did the right thing, bills are a priority and need to be paid. It was very selfish of him to go golfing and spend the $ you earned, when he knew money was short for bills and that is why you worked those shifts. He also has no right to get mad because you did not spend your anniversary together, especially when he already had plans to be with his family.
    As far as anniversaries go this year I had the day off (paid vacation day) but my hubs could not get the day off work. I was disappointed that I would not get to spend the day with him, but I totally understood that work and bills come first. He even got the chance to work overtime that day (a very rare thing!!). BUT when he got home we did take the kids out for pizza and spend the evening together. Your husband should have been supportive of you working, and he could have spent time with you and planned something for when you got home.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2011