Advice on German Shepherds

We just got my kids a German Shepherd puppy. She is 7 weeks old. Does anyone have advice on them or I guess about puppies in general? Like on potty training, stopping chewing, digging, etc. It doesn't have to be advice for just the puppy years, but whole life advice. I have had other kinds of dogs, but when they were puppies, I was younger too so all I had to worry about was playing with them. We have another dog, but she is an outside dog. She likes to chew everything too. She even chews on the house. I guess I could get some advice on that too. She is a lab/hound dog mix. She is like 3-4 months old so she is still a puppy too.

Amanda1390

Asked by Amanda1390 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs do not belong outside. She is a lab mix so she is hyper and her needs, while being left outside are not being met properly. She is a puppy, she needs to be socialized, trained properly, fed well and treated better then she is being treated by being left outside. Labs are extremely high energy dogs, they NEED something to do, or they find something to do, as you've found out, it's eating your house. Bring her inside and start training her properly.

Shepherds are a high energy breed as well. She was far too young to leave her mother but what's done is done. She will need lots of training, socialization and a proper outlet for her energy as well.

Thinking about this post further makes me think you are probably a troll because you have a puppy and yet, you need advice on puppies.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• At 3-4 mo old, and already deemed to spend life penned up in the backyard, eh? If you don't want your first dog to be a part of the family (and ATLEAST sleep in the laundry room), WHY would you then get ANOTHER puppy? I do have an outside dog. She sleeps in the utility room.

My advice to you 2months ago, before you acquired the FIRST puppy, I would have suggested you research crate training, socialization methods, teaching your puppy a job, and leash breaking. I would never suggest getting a second puppy if you're unaware on how to raise one. The experience is tough enough with one, even for experienced dog-people.

Now, find yourself some puppy training classes, pick up some books, and get to reading. No amount of advice from CM can fix this.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Socialize, socialize, socialize.
    Obedience training is a MUST.
    Great. lovable, loyal, and INTELLIGENT dog.

Enjoy!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• She is not too young and why should dogs be in the house?

As far as chew training, get a spray water bottle,and spray her when she starts to bite something she is not supposed to. Make sure you have lots of chew toys and redirect her attention immediately by getting excited and throwing it AWAY from the bad thing. Roll that into a game of fetch and give her lots of happy praise.

RUN with your dogs. they are big dogs and need lots of exercise! A walk is not enough, unless you will be walking for a couple of miles.

Try crate training. If that is not your thing, puppy pads and moving her "accident to them while cleaning the carpet IMMEDIATELY with a vinegar and water solution is the easiest way to train them.

Get excited and ask every hour, "do you want to go out?!" Make going out fun! stay out there until they poo, not just pee.

That's what worked with mine, so good luck!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• BTW, my dog now will put her paw on my leg and as soon as I stand make a bee line to the front door. Then spin in circles when she sees her leash! Potty training is only as hard as you make it.

Be sure that if you kids are not being nice, you fuss at them in front of the dog and then fuss at the dog. That animal needs to know you will protect her. Make sure to have a no kids zone for the dog to hide when she needs a break from kiddos or needs a time out.

My bed room is off limits to the kids, so my dog will hide in there when she needs a break.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:20 AM on Jul. 5, 2011