Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you homeschool?

What are the requirements for the parent to be able to homeschool> Do you have to have some sort of degree? Do you have to register somewhere that says you are homeschooling your kids? I have always thought about homeschooling my kids becuase the school district where we live has gotten worse since i got out of school for reasons that i shouldn't discuss on here b/c it would start a terrible argument. And i don't really know where to begin. I also could not decide what category to put this in.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Check out the HSLDA. Laws vary by state and they are all listed there. Good luck!

    Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

    HSLDA Link

    I homeschool my 15yr old son and we live in TN.

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • We homeschool in TN. We are registered under a "church related school" so I report grades, etc to them and they hold our daughter's permanent records. The other posts are right that each state has their own laws. In TN you do not have to have a degree yourself to homeschool. You do have to have your high school diploma or GED though. Because we use a church related school for our umbrella school, we do not have to deal with the public school system/board of education here at all. The board of Ed. here tried to tell me we had to do some things, but I checked my states laws and informed them that no, we weren't required to do what they said. After they knew I knew my rights they gave some sort of lame excuse of an apology. PM me if you would like to. I am far from knowing everything but I remember how confusing it was at first and really appreciated the help I got.

    Answer by RentaMom at 11:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • I live in PA and we use PA Cyber Charter school which is considered a public school curriculum and it's paid for by the state education tax dollars so we don't have to pay for a thing and all we had to to was fill out a few forms.If we weren't going through them we'd have to file paperwork through our local school district, but I know I don't have to be a certified teacher.I know that VA and Washington state have similar programs as far as Cyberschools ( free that is) but I'm not sure about other states. The previous posters are correct in directing you to HSLDA. They will get you pointed in the right direction. Also, cafemom has many homeschooling groups.

    Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • All of the above posters are giving you good information. I would highy recommend checking into cyber schools (public schools based over the internet) in your state if you have that option. That way, you "home-school" without having to handle all of the typical paperwork required by the state. But as others say, all states are different. Some states actually require the instructor to have a teaching degree. I've heard that some public school systems are really difficult to deal with if you choose to home-school, but that's because they loose funding for that child if they're home-schooled. So, whatever you choose....good luck!

    Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 12:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

  • I would highly recommend you get lots of books on it. That is what I have been doing and my son is only one...but I want to be fully prepared if this turns out to be the decision I take. Either that of a Steiner school..but I am still reading to make sure.

    Answer by keyaziz at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.