How can I get my 12 yo son to stop using foul language? What consequense would you use?

MommyTatum

Asked by MommyTatum at 10:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Don't know how well it would work for a boy, but when I was about that same age, my friend punched me and I called her a bitch. My mom made me write the definition of the word Bitch 1000 times.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My mom put hot sauce on my tongue.........burned for 3 days....and I was grounded.
    MusikMama

Answer by MusikMama at 11:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• He loves hot sauce and we've tried vinegar....That hasn't helped. ****shrugs shoulders

He's even dropping the F bomb in front of me now.

I've tried grounding him from video games and his BFF. That hasn't stopped him yet! Grrrrr!
    It's like he truly does not care!
    MommyTatum

Answer by MommyTatum at 11:42 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Try dish soap! A dirty mouth has to be cleaned somehow. It worked for us.
    mvon

Answer by mvon at 2:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Gosh, I don't know.
    My friend says to make them bite off a piece of bar soap and chew until foamy.
    Sounds like there are more issues than just the language. Doesn't sound like he's being very respectful to you, and not obeying you. Maybe he needs a visit to juvenile hall - just to take a look around at what happens to kids who continue to choose the wrong path.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 5:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Every time he uses foul language...remove him...I would tell him he needs to go to his room (unless he has alot of technology in there (ie: tv, videos etc)...otherwise send him to a designated spot (ie the laundry room) or some other room where there isn't any entertainment. Explain to him that he will be sent there EVERY time he uses foul language because it's unacceptable in our home! He can't return until he appologizes for his bad mouth. He'll get the message pretty quick....do you use foul language?? Kids generally pick it up from others (usually in the home) If you dont' use foul language and he's picked it up from friends then I would try the above. I always use this saying with my (step) kids...it's easier to ask for permission than to ask for forgivenss....apologizing isn't easy, but he'll quickly get the point.
    3kidsatonce

Answer by 3kidsatonce at 2:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008