How do I tell where and when I acquired bad credit?

My mom liked to use my siblings and my name and ssn's when we were children, I know she has had things in my name, and I know she had outstanding balances in my sisters name. How do I find out all the things she had in my name and if she made my credit bad, because i've always had bad credit. I dont want to press charges on her but I'm sick of being denied the stuff I need, like going to the dentist, because my mother put stuff in my name!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 10:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Pull up your credit report.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes, pull your credit report and dispute. I had an issue with a gas card on my report, it was in good standing, but it was opened the same year I was born, clearly not mine lol It should be rather easy to get those things off by simply stating you did not open this credit accounts or whatever they are, you were a minor. Sorry for you though, I hear this quite often.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes pull up your credit report. However, generally things drop off your creatdit after 7 years time. So if she did stuff when you were little then most likely those have dropped off meaning they arent viewed on there. SO just had some things drop off recently on his & our score is nearly perfect when before it wasnt that good at all.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Go to the big 3 credit reporters (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax) to request a free report. You get one per year from each place, so you can get them all at once or spread them out. More details on this website: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm

terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I'm only 22 and i have no idea when or how long she's been using my identity. I remember when I was about 10 she did and when I went to get cable and it showed she used name for that too when I was 16
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• like terirose said, go to the 3 big credit report companies. they will give you a free one once a year.. any outstanding credit will be listed in those reports...
    be aware: if you want the bad credit cleared, you'll have to do something about it:
    1: if it's obviously not yours and was taken out by your mother, in order to clear it you either have to press charges against her. Some companies will go after her themselves, but most of the time you'll need to have a filed police report for them to recredit you and your account and for them to remove the bad credit in your name. OR you'll have to pay off the balance due for it to be removed.
    2: make SURE you keep all paperwork about it so they can remove it from the credit report or report to the credit report that the balance was paid in full or was due to identity theft. and be sure to keep on the company to make sure they remove it...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• it's going to take a while for your credit to be reestablished regardless which route you take.. it's going to take time to either clear your name, or for the balance to balance out after you've paid it off.. however if you do press charges, you won't have to rebuild your own credit, once it is sorted out, you should be cleared and your credit should reflect your own credit dealings without the black cloud of identity theft.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• if you chooose to pay it off.. it could take up to 5-10 years to balance out pending on the the bills, the amount, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• http://www.annualcreditreport.com - go to this site and get 3 credit report for free each year! It's free and no obligations! I've used it many times ... a great resource!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• freecreditreport.com. you don't actually get to see your number but you get to see where it went wrong. make sure you don't pay for it. it's free once a year, ive done it twice absolutely free
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011