Would you babysit a child who appears to be sick, even if the mom said he was fine?

The child I babysit for has a nasty sounding cough. It was getting better but now it is sounding rough again. When I first started watching him I asked his mom about the cough and she said it was something the whole family was dealing with. Well it did get better but now it sounds bad again and his nose is full of green stuff. My issue is I have three kids myself, one in school and two at home (the youngest who is 20 months old was a preemie). I do not want my children to get sick because of her son. Yesterday when ds woke up from his nap he had a fever and was just sluggish. He is acting like he feels fine today though. Would you question the child's mom again, RSV is running rampant in the area. I have dealt with RSV with my oldest when he was young and I do not want to do that again.

Thanks for any tips.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Tell her what daycare centers do, that she needs a note from her doctor stating that he does not have anything that would put other children at risk. It is your right to do so. My son has similar symptoms and the day program that he goes to was all harry about the fact he must be sick. Well, he does have a cold but he is not sick. So I took him to his doctor to satisfy the school. My child's doctor confirmed coughing like it sounds like he's hacking up a lung and green booger, snotty nose - cold. At least in my son's case. He did run a slight fever (99) but that was about it. I debated about an anti-biotic but in the end we decided he could potentially have a sinus infection (which usually clears up on its own). So it made his school feel better that he was on a medicine. Oh, and he did clear up in a day or so with the meds. Dried the little guy out.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Id ask her to keep home and see the dr you cant be having your children getting sick. If hes got a green snotty nose he defently has a infection of some sort. The cough could just be crope but thats probably not the case if he has a nasty green snotty nose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I would charge her more for keeping him while he is sick.

Answer by louise2 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No. Your first priority is your children. She should make other arrangements for his care.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I will say that my youngest son (we live in FL), whenever the weather changes from cool/cold to warm or vice versa, he will wake up with a nasty sounding cough in the morning. However, he does not have a runny nose or any other symptoms. A dose of cough syrup and the cough goes away. This is something he has always dealt with and his doctor has said it is basically an allergy type thing. So, I take him in even when he is coughing like that. How long has he been like this? For my son, it's a one day thing, but if the weather changes more than once during a week, it can seem like an ongoing thing. I think I'd ask her again. Honestly, if a sitter or a teacher asked me about my son, it wouldn't bother me, so she shouldn't get upset. Just explain your concerns.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thanks ladies, I have been watching him for over a month and the cough did get better for a couple of days. He was not here for the week of Thanksgiving so I can not say how he was then.

I am going to ask her again, I am concerned for him and my children. The weather changes all the time here it can be very very cold one day and semi nice the next. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• as a daycare provider i would tell her i can not continue to watch the baby till he comes with a dr.note stating that he is not contagious , sounds like she's just putting off the dr visit,

poor baby. needs to go to the dr =(
    rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with the Dr.'s note thing.....if her kid is "sick" like this all the time and she isn't taking him for medical care, that makes me raise an eyebrow. I hardly ever take my children to the Dr. but it sounds like this little fella needs something. I would insist he see a Dr. before returning to your care. In a nice way of course.
    Anonymous

• Hard to say. My dd has had a cough for 2 months now. She's been to the doc 3 times. Each time she gets a clean bill of health. She may have a cold or allergies, but nothing serious. Could be the same with this child.
    Anonymous