Would you feed your infant this?

We were @ the park for the fireworks last night. They had a band and a bunch of food vendors and all, well there was a family next to us in the grass with a very overweight infant. Didn't think much of it until her dad came back with a funnel cake and fed her @ least half of it! She looked like she was maybe a year old, she was walking, but was still pretty wobbly. I couldn't believe that he was feeding that to her! I might give my DD just a little taste of sweet things, but she ate almost half of it! If you have ever seen the funnel cakes those vendors make, they are huge, not to mention all the whipped cream he had piled on top! I just thought to myself, "No wonder she is soo big!" Why do people feed infants like this?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 10:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Speaking as an obese parent, there's no way in hell I would let my babies eat like that. I'm working really hard to make sure they learn healthy eating habits and don't grow up with the same struggles that I did. It's just not fair to set your kids up for a lifetime of struggle like that.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Holy crap. Ugh, I have an instant stomach ache just thinking about eating half a funnel cake myself. Poor baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Bad parenting choice, but hey at least she is fed.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It was a special occasion. They probably don't fed her like that all the time. Most pre-walking or new walking babies are on the chubby side. After she gets walking down, the weight will melt off.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You have no idea....she was not on the chubby side @ at. She weighed probably about as much as my friend's 4 year old! My nephew is chubby, this little girl was just down right overweight. Watching her dad eat I could see why, it was obvious he was teaching her his horrible eating habits.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My son was a fatty at that age lol. But you can't judge by that one incident how they feed her. But usually obese children have obese parents. My son would have ate half that funnel cake, but I'm damn selfish with my sweets lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• NO WAY would I feed my dd that.. heck I probably wouldn't give half a funnel cake to my THREE year old.. I'd let her have a few peices but it's nothing but junk (tasty junk, lol, but not healthy, especially for a baby), and there is NO WAY i'd pile on whipped cream if I were going to give my THREE year old half.. it would be a fruit topping.

my 6 almost 7 month old is chubby! She mostly is breast fed, with pureed fruits and veggies only.. ONCE I did let her have a tiny peice of frosting from some cake we had last week.. (i'm talking about a finger nail sized peice, and only that, lol). Like I said, she's CHUBBY, lol, she in no way needs to be eatting junk, there are plenty of healthier options out there for kids that are just as tasty.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• See that is how I feed my 9 month old...I will give her little bites of cake here and there, and the occasional tiny sip of my lemonade or tea, but that's it. She isn't really chubby anymore because she has started crawling and is starting to thin out.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My son was 22lbs when he was 6 months old. LOL, so damn cute. Now he's almost 18 and stands at 6'2" and might almost be 150lbs lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Zakysmommy, that is not that big though...my nephew was like but once he got about 1 year he was average. This child looks like she might weigh about 60 lbs@ 1 year!
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011