Bottom of the foot pain?

The bottom of my foot towards the heel hurts terribly bad when I get up in the mornings or after I have been sitting for a long time. After I walk on it for a bit it seems to be okay. I have not changed shoes and it's been going on for a few weeks. I can strech my foot up (like stretching the achilles tendon) and it seems to help it not hurt so bad when I start to walk. Any ideas what would cause this?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Health

• Sounds like the start of Plantar Fasciitis... Make sure your shoes have good arch support & stiff soles. The tennis ball thing is really good too, you can even use a can of veggies or a golf ball. Keep stretching your calf muscles as well. I had this and I treat this.... the arch supports and stiff sloes are key!! Your current shoes are probably breaking down and are not as effective at supporting your feet. Shoes do have a "shelf life". ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my husband and I have both been having this the last few months...he looked it up and we think it's plantar fasciitis

http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Definitely sounds like Plantar Fascitis. I have to wear good shoes with good arch support or I am in agony. Nothing flat like flip flops. Some days I can barely walk down the stairs.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Not sure. I know when I have pain I use a tennis ball. I roll my foot around on it applying pressure. It helps quite a bit.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Great Link charlotsomtimes !!! I was just looking for my handout, but I think it's on my PC at work. PF is usually cause by over-pronation of the forefoot, putting stress to the plantar fascia - that's why I've had good luck treating it with arch support. The support can stop the over pronation and help tremendously. ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2011