How long does the hosptial keep you.

I was just wondering, barring any complications and that me and baby are healthy, how long will they keep us in the hosptial in the united states. I know that other countries do things different but I was just wondering how long they keep you. I have good insurance thru my husband. I know that c section is longer but assuming I go naturally and there is no complications, when could i be expected to go home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• usually its 48 hours for vaginal birth, thats not including labor and delivery. So 48 hours after baby is born. Usually 72 hours for a c section.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• If c-section, usually 3 days

If vaginal with epidural, usually 2 days.

I had a vaginal without epidural and was home the next morning after giving birth.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• They seem to send you home faster anymore, with my oldest and a c-section i was in there for 5 days, i am not sure if they kept me that long because they knew i was going to have no help when i got home. but my other son a c-section also they let me go home after the 2nd day.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• For vaginal it is 48 hours.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• depends on a lot of things actually. but usually if you and baby are good to go yur out with in 48 hours
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 10:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I had a c-section and got released after 72 hours, my friend had vaginal birth and was released after 24 hours.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My hospital usually pushes for 2 overnights with a vaginal, and most insurances cover that. No clue about c-sections, they are very very rarely done at my hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• One night, maybe two for a vaginal birth... average of 5 nights for a c-section.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Here you can be released after 24 hours as long as you and the baby are both eating, and using the bathroom. And, of course, everything else is good. I had high blood pressure with my first and had to stay for 4 day after a vaginal birth to wait for it to go down, but the baby was released after the first day. And with both my sons I got out the next day.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Typically 48 hours with no complications. With my first that was how long I was in there. With my second though, we had moved to another state and I was only in there 24 hours. It depends a lot on the hospital and how they work with your insurance. My insurance paid for 2 days but the hospital here only gives 24 hours for uncomplicated deliveries.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2011