Updating a bathroom when you can't remodel? Color help...

I have a service bath that is VERY small and just as dated with it's maroon 2"x2" tile floor and maroon & white 4"x4" tile on two walls. The shower door is also dated with gold trim (which is mimicked in accent tile around the room which is also gold); yeah, I know- ick!

The room is literally 5'x5 (not counting the shower space).

The vanity is in the corner (triangle shaped) & the medicine cabinet matches. These are very worn wood - so either staining or painting would be necessary .

This is a rent house and while I can't remodel to the extent of ripping out the ugly tile and floor I can paint any color I like.

I'd like to make it appear as large as possible and update the look as much as is possible- problem is the maroon tile is throwing me. I thought about using a metallic paint to help reflect the light BUT I worry about putting yet more gold in such a tiny room.

Please any ideas would be helpful ?? Colors? Decor?? I'll try to post a pic if I can from my phone (new house no Internet yet)

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't think I would go with gold and maroon, it sounds like a ver 80s bathroom to me. I would paint as much as I could white in the room to make it look clean and fresh. Maroon is a very Moroccan color as well, maybe you could do a theme like that in your bath and make the maroon look more like it fits.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• we just moved to an apt & can't paint. i put removabled wall decals in the bathroom so it's less boring. i got them at marshall's so it wasn't expensive. :) good luck
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We painted tile in our dd bathroom a few years ago and it did not work. It started peeling and looked bad, so we had it ripped out and redone last fall. We did buy tile paint, too. Just make sure you buy good paint! I agree with scout mom, white is good to brighten it up.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Sorry can't post a pic from my phone - grr
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• when i didnt like my tiles that were up in my bathroom, i bought some, i think it was paneling, its really shiny white on one side and put it over the tiles. i dont think i would paint the tiles, eventually paint comes off no matter what.

The floor, is a bit questionable, ive seen carpet in bathrooms, its not that odd to consider that. Maybe a shaggy one or the cheap outside carpet (that is really nice).

just remember if your going to paint your vanity to PRIME with a good primer first or that sucker will just peel right off!

It may look like you may have to live with the gold but if you want to try to paint over it, i'd go white.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would add black and white to the equation. Walls white and white throw rugs and use black as accent peices to tone down the maroon. The black will update the room. Good Luck!
    starfire59

Answer by starfire59 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Definitely white to brighten up
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I love to redecorate bathrooms. I like at least one of my bathrooms to be very cheerful and fun. So here are a few suggestions. Find a color that brightens your walls and yet goes with the maroon. Go to lowe's or home depot, a store like that, and in there paint department select the color maroon, and start putting it against some brighter colors. With out seeing it myself, i think i would try the yellows and lighter greens And if those colors are not for you, than find a color much lighter than maroon. . If theres a towel rack, find some towels to match colors for decor, then you could put a hook or hooks on the backside of your door for the towels you use on a daily basis. I have a very small bathroom too, and we could only paint, so i make the most out of it.
    angie1955

Answer by angie1955 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• White, surely
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My only qualm with painting white is that it will only accentuate the maroon even more (the room is already maroon and white). I did look at some Sherwin Williams colors - there's one called Tupelo Tree (a green) that's both bright and might help tone down the maroon.
    I thought I could restain the vanity a dark espresso to help "sink it into" the landscape of the room and use a straw mat to disguise the floor - and change all the hardware to black iron. I know the gold metal on the shower door can be painted with automotive (engine) paint - black (it'll resist heat and humidity fluctuations).and I can hang white shower liner from the ceiling inside the shower to hide the maroon in there - that'll leave me with just the maroon border tiles to tend with - which I think I can hang a long thin painting on one side and a mirror on the adjacent wall to reflect the art (& cover the border tiles on that side - what do y'all think??
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2011