S/O Prayer in schools

I know teachers and administrators are not generally allowed to lead students in prayer. However, I'm wondering how & why sports teams seem to fall through the cracks on this issue. Aren't coaches also school administrators? So how is it that when coaches pray with their teams before a game no one is speaking up against it? Or are they? Or does no one really care that much?

I personally don't play sports, never did, and my children are to young for them, but I know many teams have this practice... So I'm curious.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• My high school volleyball coach didn't lead us in prayer ... our team did it on our own, He stepped away while we did so as not to get in trouble.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Why do sports teams fall through the cracks in everything? They don't really have to keep their grades up (teachers are often told to "help" the players get their grades up by whatever means necessary), teachers are forced to attend so many games a year (but no one is forced to attend plays or concerts), funding goes into sports before other electives, etc.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• When I was in high school marching band (yep I was a band geek lol) an anonymous vote was held at the beginning of each school year to see if anyone was against saying a prayer before performing at games and competitions. Even though everyone in the band was in agreement that it was something we all wanted to do, we had to stop my Junior year because a couple people in the stands complained it made them uncomfortable to see us bowing our heads all the way over behind the concession stand. They couldn't hear us, but 2 people complained so we had to stop.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• maybe because sports are extracurricular and a choice,not required like regular school is. Also,it may depend on the sponsors and boosters

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• scout_mom - I'm not sure where you went to school, but it's not like that here. I know the teams are lead in prayer by the coach (my Bro is on the football team) but attendance is not mandatory, and you don't pay to get in to the games anyways. And there is no reason for them to keep their grades up because it's not something that matters to be involved in ANY extra curricular. I was in Drama, and our grades had nothing to do with our being able to be in shows or work on the sets or anything. But since the majority of the Drama Group was not Christian, we didn't have any need for prayer and shut down the teacher when she tried.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

actually, you're wrong. i played basketball and softball in high school and we were required to keep our grades up in order to be on the team, the coaches and teachers had nothing to do with it. no teachers were forced to go to our games, or the football games. and we did our own fundraising, and bought our own uniforms, we never got any hand outs
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• oh to answer your question sabrina, my coaches didn't participate in our pre game prayers, some of my team mates didn't either. noone was forced to pray.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I've never heard of this practice/ Maybe because I'm Canadian. However I think they'd count as school administrators.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• As far as my school went it was a "Vegas Clause" What happened in the locker room, stayed in the locker room. That said I was a bandgeek (colorguard specifically) and while we had our "ritual" it was more of a Spirit circle and we didn't "pray" to any specific deity, just a good luck let's rock this performance type of thing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

Not accurate in our school system-kids involved in sports in our district have better grades, better attendance, less discipline problems, graduate at a higher rate and attend 4 year colleges at a higher rate-

But back to the question- at my sons school is it student lead, some coaches participate- some do not-but its student lead-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2011