When will the cost be too much? The wars have no end in sight, financial costs, physical and ...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The longer U.S. soldiers were deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan, the more likely their children would be diagnosed with mental health problems, according to a study published Monday.

The study, published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, analyzed medical records of 307,520 children of active-duty Army personnel, aged 5 to 17 years old. It found almost 17 percent of them exhibited mental health problems.

"Children of parents who spent more time deployed between 2003 and 2006 fared worse than children whose parents were deployed for a shorter duration," the study's researchers wrote.

The lead researcher was Alyssa Mansfield, who was at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill at the time the study was conducted.

The U.S. Army reported some 562,000 members in active duty and more than 570,000 children of such members in 2010. Just under two-thirds of all active-duty servicemen and women were married and 15 percent were raising children as single parents.

The children whose parents deployed at least once, for an average of 11 months, as part of the U.S. Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan were especially likely to suffer from adjustment, behavioral, depressive or stress disorders than those whose parents never went to war, the study found.

Boys were more likely to have mental health problems than girls, according to the report, which reviewed records for patients cared for at military medical facilities and at civilian facilities using military medical insurance.

"We used to think about deployment as a single experience: I go, I'm away, it's difficult and then I come back. Well, it's a way of life in the military that deployments continue to occur and families have to manage the consequences," said Dr. Stephen Cozza, psychiatry professor at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.

Cozza has studied the issue and wrote an editorial accompanying the report.

"These are consequences that aren't necessarily short-term," he said. The challenges don't necessarily end with the final return home, he said, as soldiers may bring back their own mental health issues which affect relationships with their children.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Where are all the antiwar people that were at there when Bush was president?

If the war was bad when Bush was in office it should still be wrong now!

The problem is us the the people who protect presidents that do not protect us!!!

THESE WAR ARE WRONG AND WE WILL PAY FOR IT, NOT WITH OUR MONEY BUT OUR LIVES!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• People who join the military know deployments are going to happen. They make the choice to have children and are responsible for what comes with that. Bash away and vote me down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• People had no choice and they were drafted a few decades ago. That said, the people who join the Military NOW think they MIGHT be deployed and who would have thought that we would be in the middle east for 10 years? We will lose lives and money and the Military doesn't deserve this. They KNOW it is goiing to damage their minds and bodies and they need help when they get home but the Government won't help/ THey say that the men who have issues had long standing mental problems that existed before they joined up and were deployed. THAT is lying and it inexcusabe. They fight and the government ignores their difficulties which will effect their families. If we have tragedies and families suffer it is the Governments' fault.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

They still protest. Some were just arrested not too long ago...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The problem is us the the people who protect presidents that do not protect us!!!

?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think ANYONE could have told them that. Kid's are not stupid, they know full well that people die in wars and of course they worry about their parent(s) who are over there, of course they are stressed out which causes them to act out. Of course it can affect their mental health. Sheesh. They actually needed to do a study to find that out? I also think it is MUCH worse for those children whose parents are both deployed at the same time.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Thats what i;m sayin meriana...a study was needed for this!!? really?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

Answer by gammie 55 minutes ago

10 years and counting you can still find us on the corner of 9 mile and Woodward every Monday between 4:30 &6:00p.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• This all depends on the "left behind" parent. How much information do the children get from the news, friends and family. My kids didn't know that Daddy could die, they didn't watch the news and anyone that mentioned soldiers dying was no longer allowed around my children. Daddy was working in Afghanistan/Iraq and he would be home when he was done. I didn't stress out or get upset in front of them. I haven't had any deployment related issues with my kids. Thank goodness too because my husband has enough issues from deployments.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I will hitting the streets soon, I'm anti-war have been for over 8 years. These wars will make more terrorist and we will pay for it here!

I still can't believe that the Bush supporters still think he keep us safe? instead he has made more enemies!!

This is what I mean by you support for presidents that don't protect us and Obama also falls in the category of not protecting us.

The American military have killed families that had nothing to do with 9/11 They are not terrorist and we should not be there!!

How would like it if the European military started killing all who they think are gang members in LA, NY, and other states? Instead of them just getting the groups they start killing everyone around them?
    I think we would fight back!!

And it is the same for the the people who we are at war with. They will fight back!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011