How do I get my 5 year old son to swallow his adhd capsule?

supermutha

Asked by supermutha at 11:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I just give mine some OJ and he swallows it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My brother use to hate taking pills. My mom would crush them up and put the pill in syrup

Answer by louise2 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• are you even 100% sure he has adhd? I mean he is only 5 people are quick to diagnose now days for adhd just cuz some kids are alittle more active then others. Not to be mean i just dont think medication your kid to a coma is the right thing.

But if you insist on giving it to him maybe crush it up and use some sort of syrup or juice to mix it in with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• if it's a capsule your CAN'T crush it, however you can take the meds out the capsule and put it in something like yougurt. that's what i do for my son. well did cuz now he can swallow them whole but before that happened i would take it out the capsule and put it in applesauce or yougurt.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My step son had to take adhd meds at 5 also. He had capsules and the dr told us to open them and sprinkle it on a spoonful of applesauce or peanut butter. It worked great!!
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Mine take a chewable natural med that tastes like berries - which they love! - so I don't know. I would only open it/crush it if the pharmacist or doctor said it was ok. Some things are time released and opening or crushing them overloads the system with too much at once and can be very dangerous. Ask the pharm and dr first!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Here is the trick if the pill has a line down the middle then you can crush it and put it in juice or apple sauce. If not ask the pharmacy if it can be crushed or taken out of the capsule. Ask first though!! SOME MEDICATIONS WILL NOT EFFECTIVELY WORK IF CRUSHED OR TAKEN OUT OF THE CAPSULE!!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 5:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008