Should I force my kids to take a nap or is quiet time in their room enough?

The girls (2 and 5) woke up grumpy today after the long weekend! My oldest turned into drama queen and started crying because she dropped a candy on the floor -and I don't mean just one little tear, I mean crying like her best friend died.

So here I am 20 minutes later, the girls are in their shared room, I hear them playing quietly and laughing but I know they are still tired. Should I push it or just let them be and hope they nap later?

My youngest takes a morning and afternoon nap still but unless her sister is asleep she won't take her nap with her in there. I'm kinda stuck.

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 10:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• naps are important for their development. exercise them, run them it will help them sleep.
    do it the same day every day and be strict about these naps! then every time he wakes up give him a little treat
    so next time he takes a nap he will know he has something to look forward to!
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Hun, you can't force anyone to take a nap! try using some relaxing music to set the mood and a dark and cozy room to promote it.

Answer by older at 10:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You can't force someone to sleep! I would leave it alone and try for an earlier bedtime tonight.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Don't drive yourself crazy trying to make them sleep. If they are having down time that is good.
    mom4wine

Answer by mom4wine at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• IF they are quiet and content I'd let them be, they'll crash early and give you and DH alone time later :) That's my philosophy on naps all around, as long as their attitudes are in check :) GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Can't really force them to sleep, but you can send them to their room and make them be quiet.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• you can't force them to sleep. But I would separate them. The 2 year old might still need naps, but the 5 year old can just lay on the couch
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would have the same problem, but what I did was I put my 1 year old down in his bed like normal for nap, but took a crib mattress and put it into one of our other rooms.... (maybe you could use yours?) with a couple of toys.... usually what happens now is my little one will go down without a problem, but my 2 year old plays for a minute, then lays down when he wants on the mattress, and goes to sleep... (We start out with laying him down on the mattress and give him a good nap kiss and tell him to sleep well.... then leave the room.... it is then that he gets up to play for a bit, but at least he knows why we put him in there, lol!) That way they both get their naps in and aren't imitating the sleep deprived grump monsters from grumpland.... otherwise they just play.... and are the worst drama kings you ever saw later on, lol! GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Nap is resting. Quiet time is resting. Both are good. If napping happens itโ€™s a bonus.

Because of their age difference do think about separating them during that time. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• by force I mean stand by the door and nag them to stop playing, not like hold them down or hit them and be cruel
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2011