Am I feeding my son too much?

My son is 6 1/2 months old and he eats A LOT. When we went to the doctor at 4 months he gave us the ok to start solids. He has loved everything he has tried so far and adapted well to solids. We started with small amounts at first but he kept opening up for more. Here is what we are doing... He nurses between 5-6 times a day and always before we offer him solids.

Breakfast - 4 tablespoons rice cereal, mixed with formula
Lunch - 1 tub of Gerber first foods fruit (prunes, pears, bananas)
Dinner - 1 tub of veggies and 4-5 tablespoons of rice cereal

We haven't been back to the doctor yet, but it seems like a lot of food for a little tummy. He eats up all his food and sometimes I have to nurse him again right before bed. He is right on track for weight and very tall for his age. He is by no means overweight. I know that there isn't really a right answer to the feeding game, but is this too much for a 6 month old? What did you feed your baby at 6 months?

katie1317

Asked by katie1317 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, our DD will be 6 mo on the 10th and this sounds right. At home she'll nurse then eat a whole jar of food. At daycare a 6oz bottle then full jar of food :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• sounds alot like my son at that age, imo it's normal
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's only too much if the solids are replacing nursing. Nurse first, solids after... no more than a 30-minute separation. Too many solids means you run the risk of shortchanging him nutritionally. Solids are deficient in comparison to your milk.

If you are not nursing first, then you need to. He may take significantly less in solids as a result; that's FINE. Solids are chocolate cake. Breastmilk is chicken and peas.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I wouldnt' worry about it. My son ate everything that wasn't nailed to the floor at that age. He was 22lbs by the time he was that age :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it too much, if he is right on track. Does he nurse for a long time? I feed my daughter 4 6 oz bottles a day (starting to be more now) and she eats 2-3 of baby food a day, though she is a bit older.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• that's ok

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• And just re-read... you are nursing first... as long as you continue to do so he cannot take in too much in solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That's fine. I think that's what my kids had. As long as you are nursing a lot too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Thanks! I was just a little worried! :) My husband is a worry-wort and get's me worrying too! He nurses for about 20 minutes each time and completely empties me out. He's a big boy and has a healthy appetite I guess! :)
    katie1317

Comment by katie1317 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Solids-wise, sounds fine to me. But nursing only 5-6 times a day at that age sounds low.
    Anonymous