Have you ever heard of Skeeter Syndrome?

My son got bit by something on his ankle friday night. It looked like a normal mosquito bite at first then when we woke up on saturday morning his whole foot ankle and part of his leg was swollen, red and bruised. We took him to the urgent care and the doctor gave him antibiotics for cellulitus which is an infection in the skin from bacteria entering through an open place even if its super small... It is looking a lot bettter, but the more my husband and I look into it it seems he is allergic to mosqites also. Everytime he gets bit he bruises almost right away and it gets red and hard where he was bit. It takes a few weeks for the mark to go away... So I was wondering if any other mommies out there knew of anything like this or have ever heard of Skeeter Syndrome? If so, what have you done about it? Does anything in particular work better? Any advice would be great, we are going to take him to his regular doctor to be further evaluated.

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 11:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My grandson got huge bumps and swellings and sometimes a bruise from mosquitos....at least he did when he was younger but now that he is 10, he seems to be less bothered by bites.They just look like ordinary mosquito bites.I think he has built up a natural immunity to mosquitos.
    How old is your son? I hope he outgrows that kind of reaction too.Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• He is 2.5.... i dont remember this happening last year... i hope he grows out of it also .. from what i hear they normallly do... thank you

jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes! i was just like that when i younger. huge welps. but at the time it was just mesquito bites nad nothing ever worked for me. as i got older less welts but i still get bit like crazy. so when my daughter got bit for the first time this season i was like i hope she is not like me but it turns out hers are small but she still gets bites alot. so anyway, i did look up skeeter syndrome. there is nothing they can do it about it. the only thing is those insect repellants with the ingredients deets. but unfornately you can not give him the wipes because it has %25 deet and children can only have about 10% of deet. good luck and bring in the information about skeeter to the doctor to make them aware. i also did research on what they are doing about mesquto bites and better repellent. there might be something new on the market soon. just keep checking it out. good luck.
    use the off. something is better then nothing.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• oh i forgot to add that there was this article i read that it seems that its not that mesquitos are more attracted to people its that they are less repellant and there was a bunch of stuff. i hope everything works out for your son. its been a story of my life with those pesky mesquitos.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• no maam
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 6:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2011