Still constipated

My poor kid is still constipated. Over a week now. I called the doc and he said to give the laxatives another day to work. He said that McDonalds coffee works sometimes too.... So we went to McDonalds and she just finished a small coffee.. Her first cup ever...made me kind of nervous. Cross your fingers that this works

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• stay away from BRATs foods... that should help:

(brats = Bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toasts)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I suffer from chronic constipation. And there is a great over-the-counter all-natural veg. laxative called "SENNA", it works really well and is gentler on the systems than most lax. Also, try stool softeners! Good luck! (Also, LENTIL soup works really good - full of fiber and protein) - it makes me go within a few hours!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Lots of water to drink. I know when I get feeling constipated my body needs more water to get things moving. I had a friend with a daughter with chronic constipation. One thing that I used for my daughter was the suppositories. My friend had to use enemas on her daughter. I'd recommend getting a second opinion. This same friends daughter was around 5 years old and wound up with an intestinal tear from being constipated too much and too long. Change in diet would be recommended especially if you conclude certain things don't agree with her tummy. Fresh fruits are recommended too. My daughter has best results with 100% Apple Juice. Tummy rubs help too. Another thing you can do at home, is take a q-tip squab and put some vaseline on it and insert into the rectum very carefully and rub that around, that can help loosen stools and help relax muscles. Another tip: Put feet on a footstool, it's supposed to help relax butt muscles.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Hi, Don't give your child any starchy foods and cheese until your child has passed a good bowel movement. Muscle relaxing herbal tea such as sleepy time tea or camomile tea will help relax the insides. Lots of water!.. Hope things work out soon!:)
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 3:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's now July 15th How is your kid doing? I last replied on July the 6th. I was just wondering if things had gotten better.
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 4:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• She is way better. We have a daily poop report.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2011