Are exchange students still expected to say the Pledge of Allegence?

I was just thinking about this... Most schools that I know of expect and teach that everyone should say it. Those of us who didn't were often "talked to" by the teachers or administrators for being disrespectful... But I'm wondering about students who are not in fact a part of this country... Are they expected to say it as well? I only knew one exchange student, and it wasn't til HS, when it wasn't a big deal any more if you said it or not. SO I don't know if he was told to say it or not...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I never said it and was never "talked" to. We were told at the beginning of the year that it was our choice and if we didn't want to say it to just stand quietly while the others said it.
    Exchange students at my HS just normally stood there. Again it was their choice.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yeah, I never said it either. Our mother always sent a note in explaining that we were not to participate in it, but I still was sent to the principal more than once. I just stood quietly while the others said it, but not saying it "loud and proud" was seen as disrespect by more than one of my teachers... I even had to write a paper about "The Importance of the Pledge" once... Which is part of the reason I hold the beliefs about it that I do... But it was, and from what I hear is, a big deal in our school system.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I said it, but later in hs omitted the God from the pledge as it originally was written.

as for foriegn exchange students it's up to them.. I guess
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It seems most schools quit using it by the time you get to the higher grades that change rooms for each class. Generally, you don't have exchange students younger than high school. It probably rarely comes up, because there are no exchange students at schools that say the pledge.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• When I was in high school 15 years ago the exchange students weren't expected to say it, and it was only said at assemblies, not in the classroom. I don't think they would be forced to say it now.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• No. In fact, no one is expected to say the pledge. Court cases over the last 30+ years have declared the pledge of allegiance as permissible in schools (see West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette for example), provided that it is voluntary. What might be expected is respect while others are engaged in the pledge. I have never seen a student required to say the pledge in my schools experience nor in any of my children....  IMO, perhaps some have chosen to be defiant during the pledge to draw attention to themselves and their cause moreso than have been quiet and respectful of others.  Who knows.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• *school experiences*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2011