Does anyone have any experience with babies in the NICU? Help, what can I expect?

My daughter was born a week ago at 3lbs 2oz, I've been there constantly with around a few hours sleep a day and have been sent home due to a high temperature and cold. I am out of my mind with worry just being gone. She's breathing on her own so the other mothers there have told me that I should be thankful but I'm so worried about what to expect over the next few months. My husband left me early in the pregnancy and I ahven't been able to get in touch with him yet since he moves from place to place. Does anyone know where I can get clothes for babies that small also? The hospital provide but I'd like to give her anything I can.

Just looking for some support really.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was born 3 lbs 15 oz, and she spent 28 days in the NICU. At 3.5 yo now, she's doing just fine. Still on the small side, but no other issues.

It is very good she's breathing on her own! Almost every preemie goes through a spout of jaundice, which is treated with lights. Anemia is also somewhat common, so your baby may be getting some extra iron supplement during her stay.

Are you doing the kangaroo holding? That's where you hold your baby against your bare chest to share body warmth. Very beneficial to baby and mom.

You won't need preemie clothes at the NICU, but if you want a few things, consider doll clothes. Stores like Walmart sell preemie-sized outfits that will be a little saggy on a 4-lber.

There is (or used to be) a NICU moms group on CM you may want to check out for advice and support. Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The hospital where your baby is will take excellent care of your baby, you need to take care of yourself, get healty and forget the sperm donar consentrate on you and your child. Your child doesn't need clothes now, read books to her get cd's and sing to her that will be the best for you both. Good Luck!!
    marlyce811

Answer by marlyce811 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oops... Tess weighed 2 lbs 15 oz.

There will also be some follow-up visits with the hospital after your daughter is released. They'll want to monitor where she is hitting certain milestones, how her heart is doing (murmurs are also common), and such. They'll check her flexibility and motor skills too.

And... we were told that once the baby hits 4 lbs, they start considering release. That means maintaining body heat, eating, and breathing uninterrupted. We got out when Tess weighed about 4.5 lbs.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• blowing kissesAll will go well. It always seems to me that the premie babies end up so much heathier and chunky over time!! lol!! Just buy a bunch of premie clothes. Don't go too crazy though babies tend to grow really fast. Go to WalMart or Target. They have really cheap prices and cute clothes! Good luck w/ all!

LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my son was 6.5 weeks early and not breathing when he was born, his lungs were not fully developed. he spent 2 weeks in NICU. I know it seems scary but you have to trust that the team that has her knows what they are doing, and dont be afraid to ask questions. she is breathing on her own so be glad for that. when i took my son home he weight 4 lbs 10 oz, so so tiny. i was almost afried to take him home that little. i got premie clothes at wal mart and those were too big for him. i just did the sleepers with out legs..the night gown lookin ones. my son gained weight fast when he came home. i used the breast pump. as far as dev delays drs said he would have them, but he didnt, in fact he passed my other 2 with mile stones and they had no problems when born. just keep praying, keep positive thoughts. sorry you are going through this (((hugs)) keep your head up mama it gets better
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I'm not sure if this will help or not, but *I* was 8 weeks early and had to spend my first 30 days in the NICU. That was 30 years ago. I was 3lbs 14oz at birth. When they finally sent me home I was still on an apnea machine because I would sometimes forget to breathe. I celebrated my 30th birthday in April and turned out just fine. I'm certain your baby will be fine too.

As for the sperm donor, DO NOT waste any more time on HIM. You will need your energy for your baby.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The best advice I can give you is make sure your there as much as possible because babies with more interaction have a better response than baby's that don't...
    JAWSMOM2010

Answer by JAWSMOM2010 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Things I remember from our Nicu stay:
    do what you can to reduce the noise and light around her especially at night, we would put a quilt over her incubator, that helped.
    do what you can to rest for yourself; it is so hard to leave your little baby there, but if you don't hela you can;t be a good mommy to her.
    My sisters got a couple of preemie outfits for her at Babies R Us and the consignment shops around me had a small selection, I had about 6 outfits, she was a spitter upper and I lived in an apartment at the time, so I washed them in the sink each night. (I was overwhelmed at the time.) I also just put stuff that was too big on her and rolled it up.
    Take care of your self, accept any help and support any one can offer and be good to your little miracle.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 8:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011