Indoor cat

My cat has been an indoor cat since birth, so for 2 years. He is all four claws declawed. He has never been interested in going outside. All of a sudden the last two weeks he has been escaping every time someone opens the door.

Has anyone ever used a leash or a dog run on a cat? I'm wondering if it's worth investing in. I don't want to see him wander into the road or get lost... But I don't know how to keep him inside. The back yard is fenced in, but I think he could jump the fence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pets

• My friend built a cat run for her indoor cats. She basically built a large fully enclosed pen for her cats out of chicken wire. It was right next to her house and she bought a window dog door, so the cats could come and go as they please. I don't think a dog run that you can buy is the answer, because they are open at the top and the cat can jump out.

Hers was not as nice as this one, but you get the idea.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Once they get out, he might have the want to be Out, but I won't let my cats, even though they aren't fully declawed, outside anyway and 2 of the 3 still sometimes want to get outside.. I would just be more careful or aware they are trying and do your best to keep them in.. gl!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Like SleepingBeautee showed, these Catio's are the new craze. I've seen them cropping up all over the news. Making an enclosed area outside for you cats to play in.

Here's a list of search results for you to browse: http://www.google.com/search?q=catio&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My cat was indoor only. When he got old and lazy he started going out, but all he would do was look for a comfortable spot and go to sleep. But since yours is declawed you really have to watch him. You could try tying him up. Just start with a light rope, I wouldn't spend money on something that might not work. I'm sure he can jump the fence. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I had to post anon because I know so many people are against declawing. My clawed cat wants nothing to do with the outside. Just this little guy. He doesn't go anywhere right now, he just hangs out in the yard... But I am afraid of the day he decides to wander farther. I just wasn't sure how he would react to being tied up... I know cats can be kind of spastic.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oh wow, Sleeping beautee that is a great idea and one I never would have thought of... I will have to show that to my dh.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My mom's fully declawed cat can scale trees and fences like nobody's business, so don't worry about not being able to escape danger. However, you might get a small dog harness and take him out when you go, just to give him a little outside time.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Great cat closure! I love it!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• We let our cats out on the porch but be careful because one time one of our cats wandered off and we couldn't find her for two days!!
    SeattleMom206

Answer by SeattleMom206 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yep, he got out yesterday and I didn't know. Ended up scouring the neighborhood all day for him. Went three blocks in every direction knocking on doors. Come to find out, he got in the neighbors garage and hid because he was probably scared. His whole body was shaking when the neighbor brought him over. Hopefully that teaches him a lesson.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011