How would you feel if you discovered your child's kindergarten teacher were Pagan?

Would it matter if she openly wore a pentacle?

I have a Pagan friend who was just hired by the local school to be a Kindergarten teacher. One of the parents who found out she was hired knew she was Pagan (we were all in school together) and has taken the issue to the school board trying to have them stop her from teaching what she considers "normal children." I've honestly never seen the religious beliefs of teachers as a big deal...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe it would matter to me unless she were forcing her beliefs on my child which I wouldn't be ok with when it came to any religion of the teachers choice.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It would not matter to me, but I know living here in the Bible belt it would matter to a lot of parents.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• As long as she/he is kind and is a good teacher, It wouldn't matter to me if my son's teacher was purple and worshipped penguins.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• As long as she is not pushing her beliefs on my kid I don't care. I feel that way about any belief system and teaching.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would feel the same way I felt when I found out my daughters first grade teacher was pagan. Didn't care at all.

Well I wouldn't feel the same way because soon I couldn't stand this teacher because she was mean, but that had nothing to do with her being pagan
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• i see no issue with it at all
    dixiechic88

Answer by dixiechic88 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Let me add to that....I think a good teacher would keep her/his religious beliefs out of the classroom. It wouldn't affect my child in any way. And does a 5/6 year old know what a Pentacle is?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Funny, I can't help thinking of the responses to a question I posted last night where people insisted there is no religious discrimination anymore, that it's all overblown and exaggerated for attention.

It's ridiculous, and hopefully the school board tells the angry mother to get bent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't see why it's an issue. As long as the teacher isn't forcing, or practicing her beliefs in school, that lady should butt out. I think her kid(s) education is more important than what someone religion is.

I wish people would remember that their religion or beliefs aren't the only one that exists.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's ridiculous, and hopefully the school board tells the angry mother to get bent.

I wish they were. They've notified my friend that she needs to be present for a "hearing" to determine her ability to be an active member of our schools faculty. So for her case it TBD. It doesn't help that the woman who's raising the fuss is married to the HS principal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011