Why do parents obsess over getting their children to wear expensive clothes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There are going to be parents who obsess over something that's nonsensical. I gave up trying to figure them out.

On the other hand I wouldn't assume just because children have a particular line of clothing or style that their parents are obsessed over forcing pricey threads on them. DD (age 6 1/2) and I like the clothing at Gymboree for her as it's age appropriate and cute. It's also, however, pricey. I don't buy anything in there full price. We wait for sales or poke around the outlets.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't.. They grow ENTIRELY too fast to spend tons of money on clothes.. They are clothed & clean..thats all that matters.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I have no clue - I always knew my kids were messy and wanted them in less expensive clothes so when they were stained I didn't feel as bad about replacing them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Heck if I know. My kids do not wear the expensive stuff.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I guess for me I buy what I like doesn't really matter the price, but I wont spend a ton on clothes.
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't understand that either, I don't have money to spend on expensive things that they will either ruin (my son) or grow out of in a matter of months. I shop a lot at thrift stores, garage sales and consignment shops, then I will go to walmart or target to pick up the rest.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I like my child to look nice, but he doesn't have to be in expensive clothes. I get most of his stuff from Target for under $10.
    Anonymous

• To each their own I guess. I don't like a lot of the more expensive clothing for little kids, it's not really our style. My kids are only 4 and 21 months so I figure I have many years ahead of me to spend on clothes, especially since they are both girls.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Well honestly I think as long as my kids have clean clothes that fit them and are not all old and raggedy, then I am doing my job.
    Every now and then i will take my kids and get them something from Aero, Justice, or one of the other stores in the mall. But usually, I visit Target or Walmart for their stuff. And if I'm really short on dinero, I go to the thrift stores...i remember the last time I went there I spent like 10 bucks and got tons of clothes!!!!! Nice ones too! Sure beats spending 100 bucks somewhere else for nearly the same thing!!!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 2:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011