Non-believers & patriotic songs & other things.

So, I hear on CM that America is not/was not based on Christian values. Then how do you feel about the mention of God/Heaven in a lot of patriotic songs. Do you feel God should be removed from everything?
-Pledge of Allegiance (understand God was put in later-and now has been tried to be taken out)
-Star Spangled Banner:Full Version: "And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave")
-America the Beautiful
-America, My Country 'tis of Thee
-Battle Hymn of the Republic
-The Marines Hymnes : "If the Army and the Navy,Ever look on Heaven's scenes,They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines"
Others things: Our Money, The Pledge,
Supreme Court Building: Moses & the 10 Commandments.
Washington Monument: Laus Deo -- "Praise be to God."
-Almost all significant building in D.C has biblical reference!
(Im sure there is plenty I am missing.. And yes, Im sure there is plenty that has no religious reference as well.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us,
    God save the Queen

That is just the first verse of my national anthem.  I don't think it's worth getting my knickers in a twist over a 300 year tradition that I'm not going to change.  So why bother?  The word god may have no meaning but I'm still one of Her Majesty's loyal subjects and proud of it!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Non-believers in what?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• NotPanicking: Athiest...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• As I celebrated 4th of July it was hard NOT to hear the mention of God. The country songs that blared in the parade. The music during the fireworks.
    Should our music be secular during Festivities to make "everyone" happy?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Actually many buildings in DC have greek gods featured on them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't think god has to be "removed" from anything as silly as a song b/c he doesn't reside there. a god resides in one's heart..nowhere else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I honestly have no clue how to answer this. I just don't get bothered with it. I don't believe god(s) belong on our money considering this is such a mixing pot of religious beliefs or lack thereof
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• jujubean-- I guess my question comes from slowly we are taking God out of everything.
    In public school prayer was the norm in the morning, at lunch, at sports, graduation.. and now it is being taken out (and im just guessing its NOT the Christians rallying for this!)
    Not long ago it was on the news they wanted God removed from the Pledge.
    Over Memorial day there was a big deal about the prayer.

So next are we going to have to take God out of everything else (mentioned above)..
    Maybe Atheist want to celebrate the 4th of July without them/their child having to hear/see the mention of God or Christianity..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My child doesn't NEED to hear god or christianity to celebrate our countries birth. They are not mutually exclusive. That idea is silly.

I'll say it again...god isn't being taken out of anything....he resides in ones' heart...nowhere else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Actually the root movement for prayer being removed from schools did start with christians. As it has been pointed out here many times if a teacher leads a prayer it will be lead the way they worship. So how good are you with your child saying Hail Mary's or pulling out a mat for a muslim lead prayer? Many christians wanted it out because they did not want their children lead in in prayer by some one of a different faith.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2011