Laying tile floor?

Has anyone here or with SO/DH laid a tile floor? I have some old vynle flooring over concrete slab, very old, and my cat peed on it. It is under my washer and dryer, so it is not in a place that anyone will see. I was going to put down some self leveling concrete mix, then let that cure. Then put down some 12 X 12 ceramic tiles, and then grout it. I will wait a while before I put the washer and dryer back on it. How hard can this be? To me, moving the w/d and pulling up the old stuff will be harder than putting down new. Since it is our first time and only 4 feet by 12 feet, it should be easy. HELP.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 1:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can do it! I never had to use concrete levelers, but DH and I have done tile, parquet floors and hardwood floors. It can be tiring, physically, but nothing feels better than to look on something big like that and know you were the one to do it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I am not sure. I dont like to attempt stuff like that but good luck.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 1:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It isn't hard. Not at all! You should just google video tutorials, or take a tile class at a local hardware store first. I also advise that you do NOT get premixed grout. That stuff is a mess in a can.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Its pretty simple, as long as you know the basics. If I were you I would go on youtube and look up a good video and get step by step instructions. There are tonnes on there with great information that will make this an easy thing to do. This is what I did when we wanted to lay tile in our bathroom.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 1:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Thanks. I will search Netflix and see if they have any how to video's. I will go to Lowe's and take a weekend class. I cannot afford to pay someone to do it, to many big expenses this Spring/Summer. I will keep you posted.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• You should be able to do it your self very easily. I would even get a how-to book from someplace like home depot ot lowes. My husbandand Dad did our whole bathroom and laundry area.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It's not that difficult. The edges are usually the hardest part.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2011