Shall we make a list?

Are we to walk on eggshells in order to avoid offending anyone?  Shall we make a list of all words, terms, phrases, questions and images that might be considered offensive to any person or group of people?  Do we just sit quietly and politely nod to any belief, and praise all religions, even if we believe in another one or none? 

I'm all for being politically correct, but really, it seems that the notion is being pushed beyond anything reasonable--to the point of censuring everything that isn't put in Pollyanna terms.  What happened to debate?  What happened to this section that even light-hearted remarks can be taken the wrong way and injure another member?

In one recent question, I posted a picture of Chaac, the Mayan God of Thunder and said that I know he exists because it stormed where I live and I heard him.  It was a joke, meant to be light-hearted.  I wasn't trying to insult anyone. If I wanted to offend, I could have come up with something far worse than claiming to have proved the existence of an obscure god of an ancient civilization. My jaw is practically on the floor with amazement at the over-sensitivity of some people. Are we to just praise all beliefs, and never, ever say anything that might be misconstrued as "offensive"?

In a question on the R&B side, I learned that even the word "supernatural" is considered offensive by some.  Here is the Encarta online definition of supernatural:

supernatural
Definition
su·per·nat·u·ral
ADJECTIVE
1. not of natural world: relating to or attributed to phenomena that cannot be explained by natural laws
2. relating to deity: relating to or attributed to a deity
3. magical: relating to or attributed to magic or the occult

What's offensive about the word?  Is there a hidden meaning that Encarta missed?  I think it's an all-encompassing word that covers all sorts of deities, demons, angels, etc.  When I say I don't believe in any supernatural being, I don't mean to insult, I just mean to be comprehensive.  Apparently, though, even an innocuous word like "supernatural" is enough to rankle some of the more sensitive members here.

So, shall we make a list of all things that might be considered offensive to anyone?  What questions, terms, phrases and opinions should we avoid? 

I'll start.  I don't believe in any sort of supernatural being.  Is that offensive?  Shall I avoid saying that from this point forward?  Is it disrespectful to some who do believe in a god for me to say that I don't?  Is it disrespectful for me to ask questions that pertain to any beliefs?  Shall the first thing we strike off our list as offensive be any reference to disbelief in another system of beliefs?

What else are we to avoid mentioning?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 1:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Who cares if you offend someone? They'll survive.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I am atheist...I am not offended by the word god, godly ideas or things or churches. i am not offended by people who have faith or prayer or rituals of any kind.
    I am not offended by god in music, in books, in conversation etc.

I AM however offended when a god is used an excsue to judge me and tell me rude things like 'you will burn in hell". It is rude and unnecessary.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I am offended by this entire question. I am just kidding.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Personally, I think our society has become so overly politically correct that we can't communicate without fear. It is very evident here on CM.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• To be frank, I find very little useful in the realm of political correctness. :) It's just a way to find new and creative ways to say the same old things so we can be insulting with a smile on our faces.

People need to grow thicker skins. I am a Christian and I am secure enough in my faith to not really are two hoots if another opts to express their views in a way I wouldn't.

We should avoid mentioning nothing. On other hand, I still think it's about respect and common sense. I don't go the PC route, but I do make an effort to be respectful. I wouldn't use language that would knowingly belittle another person's faith or culture just because I could.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Everything is going to offend someone at some point.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I was so tired last night, I seriously thought I was missing something in that post. I got a good night's sleep, came back and read it again, and still don't understand how that's offensive. One reason I don't post much in the religion sections anymore is that so many people actively seek out opportunities to be offended. Gods and devils by definition are supernatural. The sky is blue. Some things just are. Milk is white, too. Have I offended dairy farmers? The desert is hot. Oh crap, I live in the desert. Have I just offended myself? Eh, whatever. I'm going to kick myself off of the computer and go to the grocery store. Hope that's not offensive to those who want them being called supermarkets instead.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Really supernatural? So then everything Christ did was natural not Super? Seriously some people need to get a life, dictionary or use their own brain instead of someones else's.
    daps

Answer by daps at 2:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Are we to just praise all beliefs, and never, ever say anything that might be misconstrued as "offensive"?
    ----------
    If this was true, then you should not have made this post at the offense you are taking at the offense others have. And maybe your forgetting to add that in the first post you mention, that you did finally succumb to outright insults yourself.
    Anonymous

• So then everything Christ did was natural not Super?

He's super, thanks for asking....
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011