Teenage daughters shaving... adult content

I have two daughters, one soon to be 16 year old and one 14 year old. I walked in on my daughter by accident and noticed that she had shaved her private area. I was shocked and she said that her sister (my 14 yr. old) and their 15 yr old cousin do it and that most girls in their schools do it too. I obviously had no idea and have never heard of this as a now common(?) practice. Has anyone else and what are your thoughts? I'm a little set back by it and I know my husband would flip out. I guess it's not the 80's anymore (ha, ha). Any help out there????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I graduated in 2001 and didn't do it, I was still pretty pure though
    Anonymous

• I don't remember ever discussing that in high school (which was less than 10 years ago for me) but I wouldn't automatically assume it's a sexual thing.
    Anonymous

• I shave and I always have for as long as I can remember. I just feel cleaner when I shave. Its not a sexual thing just a personal choice. It just feels better to me.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Honestly.. I didn't shave there until I had sex.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my almost 6 year old has already gotten hair down there and is getting some under her arms :( i cut the hair down there with scissors for sanitary reasons. my almost 12 year old has a full blown bush :( i also advise her to cut it with scissors because if she doesnt it holds scent and moisture. this is definitely a different generation though. we wore big baggy clothes with i was in school 90's. now its the shorter the better. not to mention look at how the world puts such an emphasis on looks. they probably just want to be like everyone else.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I am nearly 30, I started shaving my "private area" as soon as the hair started growing in. And from what I remember seeing in the locker rooms in HS and what all my girlfriends did, just about every other girl did as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Just for the record, I graduated in 01 as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I graduated in 2002.
    I have shaved since I was about 12 or so maybe (I matured around 9ish)
    I dont know if it was for sexual reasons or not.. But I always prefered having less hair!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Why not try to talk to your teens about it & why do they do it. Have a sex talk & about respecting their body.
    I know I didnt want my parents to know about my shaving either.
    And I know all my friends didnt shave either.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Momma........why get so upset? Just because your girls are shaving doesnt automatically mean they are having sex or doing anything wrong. Im 45 and this was not that uncommon amoungst my friends when I was a kid/teenager.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2011