Anyone ever rent books for college classes instead of buying them outright?

I have usually bought them outright and then turned around and sold them once I was done with them, but I think renting them may be a better option because I will lose a lot less finacially. Anyone ever rent books? How did it work out, I am looking at saving upwards of $200 on just two books next semester so it seems like the logical choice.

2boysnaprincess

Asked by 2boysnaprincess at 1:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in

• ye si have rented before and it does save tons of money! just be sure that you do return them before the due date or they will charge your credit card for them, the only down fall is when the semester is over you cant sell your books. also not all text books are rentable but many are!
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have rented for two semesters now. The first semester was a nightmare. When I went to take the book back they refused to take it back because one of the corners had water damage. No sticky pages! I got stuck paying the other half of the purchase price that day.

The second semester I had no problems whatsoever!

I think it's a great idea, but I would make sure I had the money at the end just in case the book is lost or damaged. Since the bookstore doesn't always buy back I think this is a much better option than buying!
    bettyjeanmarino

Answer by bettyjeanmarino at 5:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• well based on what I would probably get back out of the books if I sold them back i still figure this is cheaper overall so I think this is the way I am gonna go. I think I will rent them for 60 days even though I only need them for 45 (only costs a couple bucks more) that way I have a bigger window to get them back and I can get them a little earlier to ensure I have them on time.
    2boysnaprincess

Comment by 2boysnaprincess (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yes.... or buy them secondhand
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yes i have rented them. and it was very helpful.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• No and I never will. There are so many of my books that I keep for later use. Especially books in my major. They have come in handy for research papers. I also like to highlight or write in my textbooks when I have questions and I can't do that in a rented book. Also, the school I go to has very few books that are rentable. I get FA so when I sell my books back, the money is mine. I have also let friends use my books so they didn't have to buy them. They usually give me some money to use them and then return them to me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have rented all the books for my 2 college children and is a big savings. If the need a book to keep I try to find it in one of swap books sites.
    cayenaroja

Answer by cayenaroja at 11:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• Nope, always buy new books, last semester for the first time I bought off off Amazon and that's what I'll do,I never sell my school books I keep them always and my teens use them
    Anonymous

• If you get them off Amazon, wait until class start your teacher will let you know what editions you can use,so don't buy books until you have met with your professor so don't worry.
    Anonymous

Next question in
Just had my grad pictures

Next question overall (About CafeMom)
OMG SOMEONE VOTED ME DOWN!