Do individual states' gay marriage bans hurt their economies?

This was talked about on our local news this morning. The Center For Michigan released a statement documenting the correlation between gay marriage bans and economic disadvantage in the state.  It's similar to part of the argument used to pass NY's gay marriage legalization law - that stifling the rights of individuals to live like everyone else makes them less willing to live there and more likely to seek work and start businesses in other states.  It also cites research that GLBT individuals and families will relocate most often based on professional opportunity and the ability to secure benefits, leaving states that force them to pay for 2 full-price insurance policies.  At the same time, it says the environment and general atmosphere will keep people away, whether they are actually gay or merely sympathetic to civil rights, taking the tone as a general indication of the business environment.

Which is it - the anti-gay laws that inspire more families to flee the state while discouraging others to move in supress an economy, or the general sentiment of the populace that supports those laws keeps people away in general because of the oppressive/restrictive atmosphere?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We have gay marriage in Iowa and the state seems to be doing well we have low unemployment compared to many states in my town it is 4.9 percent at the moment. I don't think gay marriage is even close to why but I don't think it hurts anything.
    Anonymous

• I think its disgusting in this day and age individual rights are still being voted on....

The whole tierney of the majority thing...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• u know i think it's all well n good if someone wants to go off n get married in some other state, but they need to take into account that if that state doesn't acknowledge their marriage and if the situation of divorce arises...it's gonna be hard for them to file unless it's in that state. i used to be totally against all this gay marriage stuff, but u know what....if that's what those ppl wanna do...then that's on them. what gives anyone the right to tell someone what they can n can't do where marriage is concerned. i don't agree with same sex marriage, but it's not my place to tell someone how to live. i think that ppl will start going to those states more and it may hurt those certain states...but not to such a degree where it would put them in such a hole. just my way of thinkin.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't think many people would leave a state because it has marriage for everyone, but it seems like people do want to raise thier families in places where they feel they fit in.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I dont think that the poor economy of Michigan has anything to do with there being no gay marriage in the state. I think that it is because of the business tax situation in Michigan and the decline in the auto industry. The fact that our weather sucks most of the time would keep a lot of people from moving here I would think. The winters in Michigan are the reason my husband and I moved away.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 9:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I don't think this is necessarily true. Texas has no gay marriage and the state is doing well compared to many others..in fact it is growing. We just moved to Wyoming and it isn't legal here either. This state is doing quite well. The city of Cheyenne is booming..expecting a growth of 30,000 to 40,0000 people within the next 4 years.

I think USR answered well. We are happy with our move because WY represents our values more than OR did. This is why I think a LOT of stuff should be left in the hands of the states, counties and cities.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• A BUMP for a topic different from the 20+ that came before it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2011