Breastfeeding is anamalistic and unhealthy!

My aunt is going to be 19 next month. She is no baby now. But when she was born my grandmother was 46. She wanted to nurse as she had with her first to children, including my mother. It was really no question for her. It was just normal. When she had my aunt the hospital automattically gave her formula and tried to force my grandmother to have a shot that would dry her milk. She refused. He doctor came in and told her it's not right to breast feed. It's unhealthy for her and her baby and that only animals do this stuff... She nursed anyways. And her doctor gave her trouble about it the entire time. Her pediatritian told her similar things...

Did anyone else have to go through this? I find it strange! But back then it was apparently common... Thankfully it's not now. Thoughts please!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• Just as a note... When she went in for her 6 week check up the doctor said he had never seen a body as quick to shrink the uterus... DUH! if that's the advice you give you won't!

My Gram nursed til my aunt was almost 3. I just wanted to share and see if this really was common back then? My mom said her doctor told her the same thing about nursing me and my sister... She nursed too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Quite the opposite I believe. When my grandparents had kids, that was the only choice... It was just a natural thing for a mother back then, it was expected. No formula, nothing like that existed. When my mother had us, 43 years ago.. it was still expected, formula was something you used if you were unable to breast feed for a medical reason.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Wow! I've never heard such a thing! I'll have to ask my mom about that. She was very apprehensive about my breastfeeding. Maybe that's the reason. Very good question!
    Nanlyn33

Answer by Nanlyn33 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Wow...that's insane O.o I'm 20, and my mom was encouraged to breastfeed with me. She only made it to one week and then switched to formula because she was so tired and distraught and couldn't keep up with me (or something like that). It sounds like that particular doctor was a little crazy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son's doctors have mostly been supportive of me nursing. My grandmother however was given a hard time. My mom is the youngest and she's 50, so this was a while back, but it used to be people looked down on breastfeeding. Like it was low class and you only did it if you couldn't afford formula. People also thought it was not as healthy because you couldn't sterilize the nipple. My grandmother was very educated however and knew better than to buy into that crap. She breastfed all 4 of her babies.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We were talking about this at Thanksgiving, the difference between medical advice on breastfeeding over time. My oldest aunt is 14 yrs older than my mom and her kids are all in their 40's, while I'm my mom's oldest at 31. When my aunt had her babies 40-48 yrs ago, that was exactly the kind of 'advice' she got on breastfeeding. Practically everyone formula fed and breastfeeding was considered weird, gross and nutritionally inferior. When my mom breastfed her babies a little over a decade later, it was considered more ok but she did have one nurse who really got down on her about it.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Wow.. havent heard more bullshit like this in a really long time ;) This doctor must have forgotten that his great-great-great-great-grandmother didnt have anything besides breastmilk. I dont know since when they make formula, i really dont. but i sure doubt whatever they head for babies 300years ago was only close to as good as the formula that you can buy today.

Breastfeeding is the best food for a baby you can have. i couldnt breastfeed for long and not much, because i didnt have enough milk. But i would have loved to 100% breastfeed. Of course the formula these days is as good as breastmilk, but still not the same.

Never heard that it was common to NOT breastfeed. :-/ strange.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Some people are just such dumb asses aren't they.....how can someone take something so natural and normal and turn it into something that sounds dirty or something. Why can't we have just one day a year to evaporate the dumb ones? LOL I say BREASTFEED TILL THEY FALL OFF if you want...that's what they are there for !!
    Anonymous

• Well, when she had my mother and other aunt it was expected. It was only when she had my aunt that this was an issue. That was less than 20 years ago... I'm 25 and my mom said she was told the same stuff... So I guess it was common in the 80's or 90's...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• when my mom had my big sister and she was given a shot to dry her milk up they just didnt see breastfeeding for what it really is then
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008