Carseat questions for kids? NO mean answers just nice opinions.

there is a new law that the pediatrics recommended for car-seats and kids birth to 2 have to be facing backwards, kids 1-3years have to be in a 5point harness or backwards for as long as possible, kids 4-7 have to be in a five point harness seat and can now sit forward, and kids 8-12 years old have to be in a booster until they outgrow it. Do u think this is fair for kids 4-7 years old to wear a harness, and for kids that are preteen to be in a car-seat. Seriously are u willing to tell your son/daughter to bring a car-seat to a friends house. Anybody agree with me.
I am mother of two boys ages 3 and the other 9monhts. My 3 year old was out of the regular infant carrier at about 8month old and in an infant/toddler seat facing backwards up until he was 11 month and 3 weeks old. Right around his first birthday i took him to the fire department and i asked them if he could face forward. they told me as long as he has good head control it is fine. so i put him forward facing just a week before he turned 1 years old. He was in that car-seat up until he got to big for that one and my brother in law had a bigger one he was in which he was in up until he turned 3 years and 2months then he went to the booster seat with the back on it and is in this one still. the car-seat age for the booster says 3 years and 30 to 100lbs.
My youngest is 9months old and was in the infant carrier up until he was 5 months because he was at the last strap on shoulder and crotch and was very uncomfortable, so at that point i put him in the infant/toddler one which says 5-40lbs and he is backwards. Now he is in the same seat and is on the second last strap for shoulder but the crotch belt can move up one more. He is at the weight requirement to face forward and almost the height requirement but not at the age requirement. So i went to our WIC office and i asked them and they said he still needs to be in the infant carrier even though he out grew the height and weight for it and was very uncomfortable.
My question is should i wait until he is 2 before i face him forward even if he meets the requirements to face forward, or should i face him forward just like i did with my first son. and what happens if he outgrows this car-seat he is in before he even reaches two then what do i do..
and what ages were your kids out of their infant carrier and infant/toddler seat and what age did u move your children forward?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is a recommendation not a law by the AAP. My kids will be out of carseats at 7/8 years old. I do think it is ridiculous to have tweens/preteens in car seats.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It is not a law, just a recommendation. I know the law here is that they have to be 1 and @ least 20 lbs before they can be facing forward. I intend to by my 9 month old daughter a convertible car seat that can hold up to 100lbs, that way I can have it rear-facing until she needs to be turned around.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 2:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• my son will be 6 in November and is still riding in a 5 point harness, and will till he outgrows it. I don't care about what he or others percieve as "fair", I care about his safety first and foremost.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My DD1 was Forward Faced at 11 months old. I didn't know any better. I thought it was fine.

I was wrong.

My DS rear faced until he was 2 1/2. They are 5 times safer rear facing. Good head control is NOT all they need, they need to have a fused spine.

My DD2 is only 5 weeks old and is in an infant carrier. She will go into a bigger seat at some point, probably a Graco Myride and wil rear face until she outgrows her seat.

Now my older two are 4 and 6 and both of them are still harnessed. It's not embarassing for either one of them, they know it's safer. They wil be harnessed until they outgrow their seats. And they will be in boosters until they can pass the 5 step test.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• to peanutsmommy1- i to car for my sons safety first, it just that my oldest son is very tiny and is able to fit in the booster seat with the back still on and my youngest well he is tall and heavy and is almost outgrowing his infant/toddler seat and i don't know what to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Oh, and WIC was wrong. There is no reason for an infant seat, it is not necessary at all. You can bring them home from a hospital in a convertible seat as long as they are rear facing.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• if he is outgrowing his infant seat then you need a convertible. what is your budget? The Cosco Senerca is a good option... no frills, but a safe choice that harnesses to 40 lbs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Your 3 year old should not be in a booster, it's not safe, and it might be illegal in your state.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• OP, what state are you in?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• he is in the convertible one it says weight on it 5-40lbs. He is 27and half inches and is 20.5lbs and is at the second last strap out of the 5point harness it comes in. Do i move him forward at 1.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2011