Do you have to give your dog daily medication? If so, how do you give the pill?

My dog has to eat special dog food for bladder stones and I just found out about 3 weeks ago that she now has cushing's disease so she is on a pill a day for that. I think the easiest way to give that pill is with bacon.

melanie62

Asked by melanie62 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pets

• Bacon is good, or wrapping it in a piece of cheese :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Cut a tiny piece off a hotdog and stuff it inside. It doesn't come unwrapped that way.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i put it in those little microwaveable sausages, the yellow box is like a dollar it works cuz she doesnt spit it back out lol
    CamnJaydensMom

Answer by CamnJaydensMom at 12:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• we give it to our dog with cheese cuz she loves cheese lol so she wont spit it back out.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My dog is so good at taking medicine. I don't even have to hide it I just give him the pill and he eats it out of my hand
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• In a piece of hotdog.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I usually smush it into a little piece of bread.
    brwmommy

Answer by brwmommy at 12:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I use cream cheese.I have 2 dogs that need daily pills and the other dogs want some too.It's like a treat to them.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 4:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• medicating the dog w/ food is wonderful if they take it. Change up the food everyday so she always looks fwd to her "treat". Remember that when handling the pill & if it needs to be cut or not, wash hands before "stuffing" into the food. Don't touch food w/ the pill hand. The bitterness of the pill will transfer to the outside of the food! She may or may not pick up on the taste but better to let her think it's just food. Should it come to actually having to pill her, grap her muzzle, pry open bottom jaw w/ middle, ring & pinky fingers while thumb and pointer hold pill. This is the messy part - slide hand past back of tongue & into the throat, drop pill, close mouth (remove hand 1st) LOL tilt head up and rub throat til they swallow. Some dog's get really good about spitting up the pill, then you have to creative!! :)
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 4:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• With my mom's dog, we used to wrap it in cheese. Worked every time!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2008