Dog Pooping on Toddler Bed

I have a 10 month old Daschund named Charlie. For the most part Charlie is house trained (we brought him home at just 6 weeks old) and will scratch the door if he needs to go out and again to come in.

Charlie has this thing about pooping on my daughter's twin daybed. She is 2.5 yrs old and does have accidents in the bed some nights. He will also poop on her floor, and pee in the middle of their floor (both girls share a room)

Any one have suggestions on how to get him to stop?

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 3:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Hes showing his 'dominance' over the 2 girls by marking his territory. It also don't help the little girl has accidents cause for al he knows she marking her territory. The best way to stop him is too clean it completely by erasing his scent, and telling the girls he isn't allowed in their room. Do u have a baby gate to stop from going in there??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I didn't mean to be rude. ButI haven't personally seen how well you clean that mess. Some people think that if it just looks clean then that is good enough. I had a cat growing up that had a severe kidney issue that made her go outside the box. I remember how many times a moth my parents steam cleaned and shampooed the rugs- but they were still never clean and I could still smell it after. Didn't know you had hard wood floors. While the hardwood isn't as bad as carpet- dead wood is an absorbent material and will soak up urine that you wont get out. It you have waterproof covers on your child's beds- ok. I still wouldn't be happy about it and still think your dog can smell it through the covers.

I still think that you should be instilling more discipline with both your girls (for keeping the dog out of their room) and with your dog. But no, I wasn't trying to be rude. I was trying to give you some advise- albeit blunt.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Baby gate would keep everyone out...we tried and realized it was more headache than anything. the dominance thing makes sense...didnt even think of that. I clean top to bottom once a week in there and of course any accidents are immediately cleaned up. I've been using vinegar when washing her sheets and other bedding. my girls are 2 and 4...and Charlie is often their 'baby' when they play house so i can say "Charlie isnt allowed in here" till i am blue in the face but they wont listen.
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Ok..well another thing is to completely keep an eye on him. Get him fixed will also help things such as the dominance thing. Don;t yell at him cause it will make things worse and he will learn hide it better and not to do it in front of u including when u take him out. U need to go to a pet supply store or an enzymatic cleaner such as natures miracle to get the poopie smell out of the rug. Dogs as u know have wonderful noses!! Try febreeze next time u wash thier sheets. Vinegar justs masks odors alot of the time especially urine.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• The bed, carpet (if it is carpeted) and anything else he has soiled needs to go. From there you need to keep him out of that room. It is not healthy for your girls to be sleeping in the same bed your dog has pooped in or playing on the same floor he peed on! If that means he has to be blocked off from that entire part of the house, that's what needs to happen. If he need to be kept in the kitchen and the kitchen only, then that's what you need to do. Your girls don't need to get into the kitchen.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• here some other tips.... Don’t clean accidents in front of Charlie...dogs are interested in what you are interested in!! Don’t accidentally train your dog to be interested in poop! He may start snacking…lol; Crate train him is a very good idea; A rule of thumb I use for how often a dog needs to out after eating drinking is one hour longer than his age (in months) if he is awake. Small breeds have small bladders and may he may need more frequent trips outside. Pups that can sometimes hold it all night may still have to go if they awaken, and may not be able to hold it for the same length of time during the day. If he does go out in the middle of the night, put him quietly back in his crate when you come in, with no treat, no fuss, and no play! He will learn that nighttime is sleep time, even if there’s a brief potty break.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Another idea is don’t just put the pup outside to do his business, he won’t be learning anything! Stay with him. Reward him for a good performance and teach those cues! Once he gets it, start rewarding every other time, or every third time. Start using praise intermittently, instead of food for every single performance. And like I said earlier, no scolding for accidents - ever. Mistakes are nothing more than lack of human supervision. If you scold, an unintended consequence might be that Charlie may learn that it’s dangerous to pee in front of u or your DH. Accidents are the human’s fault for not watching the dog!

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Michigan-Mom : thanks so much...all the info is really helpful, I will try the Natures Miracle stuff (I had heard from others this might help) Unless something big is going on then we are outside with him, lately it's been hard due to tornado clean up but he also gets walked twice a day...other than his normal outside play time. Mistakes are made by numerous house members (2yr old, 4 yr old, and the 80 yr old and of course the bird) So far so good on the not eating poop (least not his own, he has been known to pull dirty diapers in the trash even though i block it as much as i can) as for blocking the kitchen...we have an open floor plan and I've priced those baby gates (not gonna happen) I would crate train him, but it almost feels mean to do so now after 10 months of free roaming. where would i keep the crate and how would i keep the kids from secretly opening it to let him out?
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• MeandDHphoto - though i would love to run out and buy new beds, dog poop is hardly a reason to do so. He poops on the sheets, and under those are two different mattress covers one is waterproof. the poop is removed and the sheets are washed, it's not like my child is sleeping on the poop, she gets fresh clean sheets after every accident. As for the floors...what would you like me to do? replace the original hard wood flooring? Not gonna happen, it gets baking soda, then wood floor cleaner. they are not playing on soiled anything. My girls do need to go into the kitchen, to help me cook, to get their drinks from the fridge, and to get to their art supplies and a lot of others things as well. So thanks for the suggestion but that was a little rude. Do you really think I would be letting my children play in soiled areas or did that just come out wrong?
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I secound having more disciplin for the kids about no dog in their room. If it really grosses you out and you want it to stop, then remove him from that room! Plus you wouldnt believe the cruel and mean things a very sweet child will do to a pet, some of those things can cuase a dog to pee or poop... he may be doing this to get out of the room, ever think of that? My son is 8 yrs old and is good with animals when I am arround watching him, but you NEVER allow a child and pet ALONE together, EVER.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 6:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2011