Bedtime help

How do we encourage our 2.5 year old to stay in bed at bedtime? Lately she has been coming downsatirs with all sorts of excuses: drink of water, she wants to put socks on, can't find a stuffed animal, wants another good night kiss, etc. We put her to bed between 8:30 and 9 and she does not fall alseep until 10 or 10:30, sometimes 11! And you can tell how tired she is. We aren't sure what to do anymore.

Bluebird8874

Asked by Bluebird8874 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a music cd or tell her she gets 3 questions then she is all done till morning. I tell mine that they can look at books or play quietly for a bit. Depending on their age I'll give them about 30 min and then remind them it is bedtime. They usually get into bed before I come back in. It gives them some time to be alone and get sleepily.

Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Stay in the room with her after you put her in bed. You won't be there to talk to her, kiss her, get her a drink or anything else. You will be sitting there. If she gets out of bed get up, calmly grab her and put her back in bed saying "bedtime" and nothing else. Do it asl long and as many times as it takes. You need to get across to her that there are no excuses after she gets put in bed. And if she gets out she will just go right back there without going far at all.

Good luck!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Read a book or let her watch a movie.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 11:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• LOL. Do we have the same child? I literally JUST made a post like this one. haha. No idea lady, sorry! GL!
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• And actually, that's pretty late for a 2.5 year old, IMO. No judgement but maybe you ought to put her down sooner so that even if she does get up for awhile she's asleep sooner. Our 3 y o is in bed by 630-700.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Her bedtime used to be between 745 and 8, but when the time changed in the spring, it messed everything up. We put her to bed later because if we put her to bed at 745 still, she would stay awake for 1.5 or 2 hours anyway. Last night was actually the first night in weeks that she did not come out of her room at all. I turned off the tv downstairs at 8 and we read books for almost a half hour. When we went upstairs I gave her a drink of water and put her socks on and I repeated our new rule of if she stays in bed, she can keep her books and stuffed animals, but if she comes out, the toys get taken away. Whether she finally understood the rule, or she wa exhausted from not napping yesterday, I don't know. But we will see if it works again tonight
    Bluebird8874

Comment by Bluebird8874 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2011