Any other breastfeeding moms get treated like sh*t by their bottle feeding family?

Preparing to go through it all over again.... I decided to breastfeed my son when he was born last year. It wasn't easy. It was painful and scary to not know exactly how much he was getting at any given time. I was alone, except for my husband, because no one in my family had ever breastfed before. But, we stuck with it and everything went beautifully after the first couple months. He is now 15 months old, weaned and the sweetest little boy ever.
I am 8 mos. pregnant with our daughter and just don't want to hear it anymore. They ask and ask and ask "Are you gonna BREASTFEED again?" Like I'm some kind of nutty hippie or that it is disgusting. When I started breastfeeding my son, they would ask the same questions over and over, trying to get me to say breast was better than bottle so they could hate my guts. After a while, I said it on purpose and just let them hate my guts.
When my son was 2 mos. old, my sister asked me "Is he still doing THAT?" when I breastfed him at our parents house. My answer was "When your kids were 2 months old, were you giving them steak and ice cream? Of course he's still breastfeeding, he's a baby!" She didn't talk to me for about a month (for which I wasn't sorry at all).
I feel like just screaming. Yes, I am going to breastfeed my daughter. I believe it is what is best for my child, and I'm sorry you take that to mean that you didn't do right by your children, but that is not what it means. It means I have an independant mind and the right to feed my baby the way I want to. I'm not playing "perfect mom" here, I just want to breastfeed my child. Vent over. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Having a baby is selfish. (Yes, it is.... it's reproducing your genetic material. Quite selfish unless you need to repopulate the planet. But excusable selfishness.)

Breastfeeding is FAR from selfish, mommy/... your relatives were the selfish ones.

That said... next time, AGREE WITH THEM. "Damned right I'm selfish. What are you gonna do about it?"

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My family never gave me problems, both because bottle feeding was weird to them and because they know damned well I will do AS I PLEASE and that I really don't give a damn what anyone says. I don't argue, I don't discuss. I do as I please and walk away from anyone trying to stir something up. Or I'll just LEAVE.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Hugs!!! I did not run into that, as I ff my children. My personal belief is that each mom needs to do what she feels is right or what works best for her baby. If your baby is hungry, feed him/her and it is NOBODY else's business how you choose to feed your baby! It is too bad your family cannot see that you are doing what you feel is best for your baby and you are bf because YOU want to (and are not doing it to toss in their face that you are the 'better' parent or made a 'better' choice).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Yes. I breastfeed my son till he was 7 months. My husbands side and my side bitched and pushed me to quit. Said it wasn't right for me to breastfeed so long that I am being selfish since they weren't allowed to bottle feed him. That I am a bad mother because I am creating a mama's boy. My SIL actually bot bottles and told me I have to start bottle feeding him before they left. Of coarse I didn't listen but my husband was in on it too and I finally stopped because I couldn't take it anymore.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Don't say anything.... just get one of these for your baby and have her wear it around your family.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• To answer the question, my family was not supportive of breastfeeding, well my parents weren't, one sister was. My inlaws were very supportive, but my family nope. I just let their rude comments slide off my back and did my own thing. I knew I was doing what was best for my baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My MIL is very unsupportive of BFing and makes it known any chance she gets. I just walk away, ignore her or change the subject. If they have made up their minds, nothing I say is going to change it.

I do repeat to her often "Your opinion has already been made known. I have weighed the facts and this is what I want to and choose to do. You raised YOUR children, now I will raise MY children! The subject is now off limits."
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Just say " of course I'm going to breastfeed, thats what boobs are for, why give them some mass produced crap when human milk is a thousand times better and free?"
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• My family pretty supportive. They KNEW it was best.
    BUT at the same time I was sent to other rooms to breastfeed :'( and they missed being able to bottle feed (though when she was a bit older I would pump & they would get her so they fed her breastmilk.
    And once she as about 6mo it was like they where ready & thought I should wean. IDK why 6mo seems to be so popular with people thinking you should wean by then! I nursed until about 20mo.... I wanted to go the full 2yrs but the questions got very old :(
    Next time I WILL GO 24 MONTHS.. unless baby weans themself!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• It is funny you are mentioning this because I bottle fed my kids and all I was ever told is that I am a shitty mom for not breast feeding, that's all I ever heard and I couldn't do it for medical reasons(even though I wanted to). My opinion has always been that the choice is up to the mother of the child and neither is right or wrong. As long as the baby is getting what they need then people need to mind their own business. If your family has a problem with it then it is their problem not yours. Do what you feel is best for your child. You are NOT doing anything wrong.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2011