If you did not have enough food to go around, would you let your kid eat in front of other kids?

My mom always taught me that if it is not enough to go around than we could not eat until company left. What were you taught? The reason why I brought this up is because yesterday the whole family got together for a cook-out. One aunt left to go to the store and when she came back she had pint-size ice cream for her kids and her kid only(I thought was pretty rude). All the other kids sat there while her kids ate ice cream, it was a good thing that MIL had Popsicles which she gave to the other kids. I guess one of the kids as her child for a taste of ice cream, when she saw that her daughter was sharing she took her off to the side and told her not to let anyone eat her food(I overheard). This is the same woman who invited one of her sister's kids to go with her and her kids to the mall. We found out from that child that she took the kids to McDonald's and brought only her kids something to eat. Leaving this girl to watch everyone eat. So what do you do in situations like this?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• that's crazy...i woulda said something. growing up we were taught also if we didn't have the money to get something for everyone, then we don't get it. and believe me we did without a lot. there were 8 of us. but yeah....that's just wrong of her to do that...especially in front of lil kids...that's one thing that i make sure of..i don't care if i go hungry...but i sure won't let my son go without eating. n if one of his friends are over...they are welcome to something. that's just being a good host.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That is just rude. I wouldnt be able to shut up, as an adult I"d have confronted the (mcdonalds situation, that is NASTY, i'd be so pissed) At the family cookout, I'd have said loudly infront of everyone " hey, if you cant bring enough for everyone, then dont bring any!"
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Rude and inconsiderate.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Wow, that is really rude! I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to do that! I would've said something...
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I think it's sad. I try to teach my children how to always share.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That is rude. I would have given her a piece of my mind. I was taught that if you don't have enough to share then don't have it at all. I also teach my kids to share with their guests first.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• I would be livid if that was my child at McDonald's! I'm pissed off just reading about that poor child!
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 4:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• Rude in my opinion I would never do things like that. I always feed other kids & always offer other kids food. Even when we go on picnics out & about I pack extra in case a friend wants something. Like I pack up one go gurt for my child but will probably toss in a fwe extras into the bag too just in case.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• ..not just no.. but HELL no. its rude and its cruel.
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 4:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011

• That is beyond rude. I would have said something and I never would buy something for my kid and feed it to him in front of a bunch of other kids.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2011