Cell Phones

What does everyone feel is an appropriate age to have a cell phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• When they have a job and can afford it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I got one at 13, but it was prepaid and i only got a certain ammount of minutes a month. To prove I was responsible to have one. at 14, when I entered high school, they put me on their plan, but if I ever went over minutes or anything I got it taken away.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree. However, I feel like that as well about the driving and car issues. My girls had this order: job, car, phone.... They don't need a phone, IMO, unless they are on the road.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think this is a good plan. This is what I had in mind to do with my daughter.

Answered at 11:33 AM on Dec. 16, 2008 by: oliviasmomma09
    I got one at 13, but it was prepaid and i only got a certain ammount of minutes a month. To prove I was responsible to have one. at 14, when I entered high school, they put me on their plan, but if I ever went over minutes or anything I got it taken away.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I told mine they can have one at 13 but it will be prepaid & they will pay for the minutes with money they earn working around the house.
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• My son is 11 yrs old in middle school and he has one. He generally uses it to keep in touch with us if he's at a friends house or gets to go to the movies or something with just his friends.

A_Mom_Of_Two

Answer by A_Mom_Of_Two at 3:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• we have an extra cell phone in our home. We use the term extra so as no one can stake claim to it. My son gets to use it when he is going to ride his bike to his friends, be somewhere I am not etc. It is also used for him to contact me for checking in and etc or to call someone in case of emergency only..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Mine won't have one until they can pay for it.
    I work at their school, so there's no need there.
    A prepaid one - maybe when they are a bit older. If my DD is traveling with a cheer squad or something in a couple years, I might get her a prepaid. But likely I'll be at every game anyway.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 5:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Mine is 12 and got her sister's old one which still had plenty of minutes on it. She's only used it at times like when the school bus is late coming home. If she want to start texting and ringing friends she will need to pay!
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the age of 16 with limits
    Iwuvmybabies

Answer by Iwuvmybabies at 8:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008