Why does

Why does your nose run when it's cold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Haha, you got me wondering. So I googled it :D

"When you're outside on a cold day, your nose tries its best to warm up the cold air you breathe before sending it to the lungs. Tiny blood vessels inside your nostrils open wider (dilate), helping to warm up that air. But that extra blood flow leads to more mucus production."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• interesting question. sorry but I have no clue.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Because it is too cold to walk?

(oops, sorry, couldn't help it.) LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 12:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The above is correct, because think of your nose as your little personal humidifier. It acts like this and also filters. It's such a handy little device!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• God's amusement is my guess after the factual statement.

You know, outside, have on mittens and your nose starts to run.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• lol that's funny...I google stuff all the time when I'm curious. If someone ever looked at my history they'd probably think I'm some kind of freak
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Always wondered, never knew. Good ?. My nose always runs though (allergies) and seems to run more when it is cold, but it doesnt really phase me I am so used to it.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I felt guilty about my joke above, so I did google the question and found this.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-does-my-nose-run-when-it-is-cold-outside.htm

"Underneath the glands that secrete mucus, you have huge amounts of tiny blood vessels, which help supply these glands. In cold weather, these blood vessels dilate or grow larger. This means you have more blood supply to your nose, which in part protects your nose from the cold, but it also means your nose will begin producing greater amounts of mucus and liquid. "

Answer by Bmat at 1:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008